New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H sights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am due to receive a Montana 1999 long action left hand barreled in 375H&H. I got in on the charter offer over a year ago and got two actions, one of which I received last week. The barreled action is about another month out. I will be receiving it in the white and having some extras added. Has anyone got any recommedations on a very rugged set of iron sights. It will wear a 1-4x or 3x Leupold but I like having backup sights in the event of an unlikely but entirely possible scope failure. I have tentatively decided on the NEGC banded front and single leaf rear sight, soldered on. Any suggestions? A local smith hase a very rugged looking adjustable on his 404 Jeffery so will be talking to him. I would appreciate any input. Thanks. Mart

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not stay with NECG (I agree with you on the front) and use the NECG peep the uses the (rear) weaver scope base to attach to the gun? When the scope is off you put on the peep that your carrying in your pocket (pistol grip cap?) on the gun. I've found it works pretty good, at least for me.

Roi

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Ruger #1 wears a NECG peep sight. Works well but my feeling is that when hunting, especially in Alaska, it's just one more thing in my pocket.
A couple of suggestions. I don't know if this is applicable to a 1999 action or not. First, look for a Warne base with the integral peep sight. They work and it's attached to the action. Remove the scope and it's there. Secone, try to find any Redfield base with the in-built peep sight. Your gunsmith can remount it on some of the Leupold bases. Finally, you can have a simple peep sight(windage adjustable only) fabricated and attached to your bases (I have one on a Rem 700 with Weaver bases). Elevation adjustment is via the front blade.
Many years ago I did have a scope failure on a bear hunt(discovered when I removed the scope caps with the bear in sight--miles from anywhere and that rifle did not have backup sights. All my rifles that I hunt with in Alaska have backup sights.

Posts: 24 | Location: alaska | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the advice. I hadn't thought about the scope base and integral peep sight. I will take that under consideration. Do the NEGC peeps need to be rezeroed every time they are installed or are they made to return to zero? This opens up new possibilities. Thanks guys. Mart

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks guys for the advice. I hadn't thought about the scope base and integral peep sight. I will take that under consideration. Do the NEGC peeps need to be rezeroed every time they are installed or are they made to return to zero? This opens up new possibilities. Thanks guys. Mart

Mine have always come back to same point of aim, as near as I can tell. Like under 2 inches, but that is with a 3/32 front bead. That large a bead and given it's a "open sight" I think it's as good as I could expect. My feeling is that the "return to zero" is probably better than the (peep) sighting system is inherently capable of providing.

If I can reliably hit a 10 1/4 inch paper plate at 50 yards I figure it's good enough for DG. After all it's not dangerous unless it's closer than 20 yards, yes?

Your milage may vary...

Roi

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ditto the above.
The NECG sight that I have comes off and on frequently without any readjustment.
There are some set screws that have to be tightened after sighting-in. From that point on I have not had to do any readjustment.

Posts: 24 | Location: alaska | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I will give the peep sight a look. Good hunting. Mart