New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine problem M70 SE .416
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK I have been messing with a M70 safari express I bought in 05 when winchester went belly up. Never shot it. Now I am wanting to get it dialed in. At first it has weak extraction and I figured some kind of extractor problem. It did have the machined williams part (factory winchester). I bought a machined extractor for each of my older M70 magnums, as they had the MIM extractoe. Both are 375's and feed and eject like a champ. For shits and giggles I swapped extractors with another, and voile! now they both seem to work, but the .416 still acts wierd sometimes ejecting. Also it pops top round off mag sometimes while ejecting case. Bad JuJu.

My question is: How do I solve the magazine release issue so I can get this thing 100% "africa ready"? Is it a magazine spring issue?My other 375's don't have this problem

Hopefully the extractor swap fixed the problem with ejection....

Thanks

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to sound like a broken record...but the fact is that it ain't JUJU, extractor, springs...any one thing...The whole system has to work in harmony.

Take it to a knowlegeable gunsnmith to tune this rifle up properly! A little "glitch" can ruin your whole day with a pissed off buff.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah the gun is not ready for a hunt for sure. Gonna get you mag box and go from there....

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote