New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smooth action of M70...advise please!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to smooth-up the action, or bolt movement in my M70. Can I do this at home, without taking anything apart? I am hoping that I can put some compound on the bolt and action recesses, and work the bolt until it is smoother. I have worked the bolt several thousand times shooting and dry fire practice, but I still don't have that butter smooth action that I wish I had. Any advise here would be appreciated!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Compound is OK for Lapping lugs to 100% contact but can do more harm than good in other spots. Does the bolt work much smoother with the safety in the Middle postition? If it does there are other area's that need polished. There are several places to polish M-70's but you need to figure out what really needs to be polished before you start................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i am no expert on actions but i don't believe it can get smoother.i think it is the design that does not permit.what iam saying is that it can't get as smooth as a sako.perhaps someone who really knows actions can help.or tell us how smooth a m70 can get and what must be done.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Model 70" is more of a marketing brand (Ford) than a specific model (2001 F150), so you'd need to specify which you have.

My two M70 Featherweight Classics, circa 2002 and 2006, have extremely smooth bolt throws. Their bolts ride bolt guides along the rails, and, surprisingly, the newest, a stainless, is by far the smoothest. The "bolt guide" approach isn't the only way the "M70" has handled the issue, however.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester M70 Sporter LT in 7mmRemMag

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, that's the recent "Classic" configuration, like mine described above. The first thing I'd check is whether the smoothness changes depending upon whether the magazine follower was in place (normal) or out of the way (floorplate open). If it improves with the floorplate dangling, then your action is fine, it's the floorplate dragging on the bolt.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put some grease with a little griphite on it. Work it for a while, clean it up. Presto! Smoth action (propably).
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
IMO a mauser type rifle with the claw type extractor will always be less smooth than say a well put together remmy or other push fed rifle. however I have a CZ 550 that I bought, that was pretty ruff when new, I took some JB bore paste and put it on the bearing parts of the bolt and action, worked the bolt a 100 times or so, and now I have a pretty darn smooth action, I also did the same treatment to my CZ 527 and its butter smooth now

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote