New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the secret ....?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the secret to keeping the cross hairs from moving when tightening up the scope rings on Talley mounts? I have tried to tighten both rings together and there still seems to be a little rotation of the cross hairs. Is this a trial and error type proposition - keep trying until you get it right?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The only rings I've ever experienced that on is Weaver rings.

Try alternating the tightening sequence. Do one side of the front ring until it starts getting snug, then do the opposite side of the rear ring until it starts getting snug.
Then move to the front ring on the same side, tighten until snug, then move to the opposite side of the rear ring.
Once all the screws are 'snug', repeat the process until they are tight.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
What is the secret to keeping the cross hairs from moving when tightening up the scope rings on Talley mounts? I have tried to tighten both rings together and there still seems to be a little rotation of the cross hairs. Is this a trial and error type proposition - keep trying until you get it right?

Are these the talley mounts that have the screws at the top of the ring? If not, read below, if they are then I've just used trial and error. If the scope consitently moves one way I just adjust the crosshairs the opposite way the same distance before I tighten them. That way when I tighten the they are perfect! For side screws I've noticed minor movement on almosy every scope I have installed reguardless of bases. Optilocks, leupold, weaver(impossible), redfield...etc. What I have found is that once you start compressing one side of the ring more than the other the scope will tend to move slightly. So what I do is get the scope exactly where I want it and simply snug the screws EVENLY and make sure the scope is in the right place. Once they are all snug and I have checked the scope then I make very small(1/8th) a turn on every screw evenly using a cross rotational pattern making sure the pressure is pulling the scope straight down into the rings. If more pressure is put on one side than the other of the rings then the scope will have a tendancy to turn( although only very slightly). Most people don't notice this or even care as it is usually a very small difference. Continue this until desired tightening is achived. If each screw is tightened slowly and evenly you shouldn't have this problem. It takes a little more time on 4 screw rings but it's worth it to me as I like my crosshairs PERFECT!! You also need to make sure your rings are aligned properly, because if they are not this may also cause a stress to be put on one side of the scope or the other causing it to turn or "pinch" the scope. I usually put a 1" or 30mm dia. solid aluminum or steel bar in mine to make sure they are perfectly aligned. Do not try and align the rings with the scope as I am sure you already know. If that doesn't work you may need to lap your rings as they may have some inconsistency to them. I don't usually like to do this becuase I hate ruining the finish on anything. It works for me.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
TRY A DOT OF SUPER GLuE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE RING break the edges of the rings with a file use scope tape.
alternate front to back as you tighten

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glue??? weld it ,drill and screw,or nail it.

sofa

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote