THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parts needed: Ithaca Model 51 Magnum 12 ga.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
My usual parts sources are out-of-stock so I thought I'd try here. I'm looking for a slide assembly, bolt buffer and a receiver buffer for this shotgun. Any ideas?

Thanks!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi John, I have the 70500 and 70700 buffers. If you have the action slide it can be welded. Used ones are hard to find and expensive. The only one I have has been welded (and not a very good job)(I didn't do it!!!!) Bill

Posts: 111 | Location: Downs, Kansas | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill. This one was cracked and poorly brazed which broke loose. I think I can weld it. Would you mind sending me a PM on the cost of the buffers?

Thanks,

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John

I have Model 51 slide assemblies come in broken as well. I think it is a design flaw. I have had success welding them. Polish 3/4 inch either side of the weld and with a torch draw the metal to a dark blue. If the break is near a notch, when reshaping, radius the corners slightly.

The buffers are deteriorating from age more than use. I have used all my stash up. You may have to fabricate some from delrin.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UHMW-PE (ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene) is the material of choice for replacement buffers.

+1 on annealing and TIGing the operating rod.

Posts: 82 | Location: SW FL | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote