New
Find
Notify
Tools

rifle engraving
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
does anyone know of a gun engraver in the raleigh durham n.c. area i need some engraving chased up on a double rifle before having it done over.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure how close this is but he's a very good engraver. Ken Hurst

Posts: 1680 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Mr. Hurst, but many engravers don't like to, or flat won't work on other's engraving.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks he is 5 hrs away

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as long as you don't get in line ahead of me.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
always enjoy a little humor. im leaving now rte 40 all the way

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That ain't humor, it is the truth. Ken may get you in as he has a long list. You would be using a real craftsmen.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info. regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken told me many years ago that he wouldn't re-engrave existing work, but he may have changed his mind by now (since he's already blinked his eyes, not to mention slept!VBG).

All kidding aside, Ken is one of the best engravers around and a fine gentleman as well. He's doing primarily bulino work at present but is expert at just about all engraving, his bank-note scroll is splendid as are his game scenes. Here's a squirrel he did on one of my low wall grip caps.

And here's some of his scroll, just a taste.

These are very simple examples of Ken's work but you can see that he's a Master, some of his more ornate jobs are truly magnificent. I wish I could afford more....
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy, that squirrel didn't show very well, let's try another view.

My photography sucks but you can get the idea.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J.D.,
Jim Carmichel said to call Ken. He mumbled and grumbled and said he didn't work for people that had no more money than I thought I could spend. I heard a bell ring in the background, and he said I had already spent X amount of dollars of his time. Ken said he normally did what he thought needed doing on a job and then sent a bill. After all that was said, I agreed to have James Anderson get the metal work to him. Did you hear me James?
I really enjoyed my visit with him and after seeing both his work and work ethic, He will do my work.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, Ken is one of my favorite people, but he IS mighty good at mumbling and grumbling sometimes! Unfortunately he has been infected (infested?) by the super-high prices on the doublegunshop.com site and so sometimes he can't help but think that we riflemen are pikers by comparison. I tried to explain that those nouveau-riche flashy double-gun folks who so snobbishly follow The Doctrine of Conspicuous Consumption are merely using their filthy lucre to compensate for their basic insecurity and lack of self-confidence, but he just mumbles & grumbles about having to pay the bills....

If we all could be as nice and as honest as Ken, the world would be a far better place.
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another FEGA member not too far away. Some of his work is displayed on the FEGA website.

Tim H George
1806 Elizabeth Ave
Altavista, VA 24517
434-369-1204
timgeorge6161@aol.com

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 830 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote