New
Find
Notify
Tools

Series 70 Goldcup Sight options
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The gun is equiped with the factory Elliason sights and the front sight blade is loose (you can wiggle it) It seems to be staked and I am tempted to heal it wth some well placed epoxy or superglue and a little capillary action. Any better way or is there a source for this sight new that is 'correct' for this model? How hard to replace? Are there perhaps better sights that do not require modifying the gun?????I don't realy want to go carving dovetails into this one.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
You might want to have a gunsmith stake on a new front sight. In my experience, once a staked sight becomes loose, it will eventually fail, usually when you need it most. It is also a good idea to check the pin that holds the rear sight. Colt frequently used roll pins that would eventuall compress and come out, letting the rear sight fly off into never-never land during firing. Replace that roll pin with a tight fitting solid pin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that sounds like the voice of experience. Thanks Stans

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think even the best of the custom builders have an occasional front sight 'pop' off their .45's. Once loose it is only a matter of time. The last couple I had done were silver soldered and staked and they seem to be hanging in there. I would find a smith that knows his way around a .45 auto and let him have at it. A good one will stand by his work if it does shoot loose again.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The factory crosspins that hold on the rear sight leaf of the Gold Cup always fail if you shoot anything hotter than wadcutter target ammo. I had to make one from a special, heat-treated steel to be able to shoot hardball in my Gold Cup. [Confused]