THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    HELP, I need a NEW barrel for a No.4, Mk.1.......

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP, I need a NEW barrel for a No.4, Mk.1.......
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted
I was referred by the Medium Bore Rifles forum to post this here, so this is a duplicate post, but maybe someone here can help me:

My step grandfather "willed" me his No.4, Mk.1 Lee-Enfield .303 British. As a child I had a HUGE attachment to it, asking to "play" with it often (unloaded of course), and it was the only thing that I was given of his which I feel lucky to have considering I am a step-grandchild and my attachment for it.

Unfortunately it's bore is SHOT, and I would truly like to re-barrel it with a new, old-surplus barrel to restore it to its prime.

Can anyone PLEASE point me in a direction where I could possibly find a new barrel???????? Or possibly a gunsmith specializing in the Lee-Enfields????????

THANKS for ANY info you can provide!!!

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you try Gun Parts Corp-?

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuaneinND:
Did you try Gun Parts Corp-?

I've tried so many "gun parts" places that it is CRAZY! I can even find new bolts, firing pins, bayonets, etc. but NO barrels. Roll Eyes

I'm beginning to think I need to have the barrel re-rifled to a .338-.303 British or something. bewildered

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Contact these guys: http://www.bdlltd.com/

I'm told they have lots of Enfield stuff. They specialize in them....

If you find out anything, please let me know. I like Enfields as well and may wish to rebarrel one in the future.

Thanks,

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another possibility; Try Marstars (Canada)
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m having Krieger make a replacement military contoured barrel for an 1898 US Krag...and I believe that they will duplicate any barrel for you as long as you send the the original to copy from.

Obviously a bit more $$$ than buying a surplus, but stick that Krieger on it and you will be handing it down to your grandson.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
I’m having Krieger make a replacement military contoured barrel for an 1898 US Krag...and I believe that they will duplicate any barrel for you as long as you send the the original to copy from.

Obviously a bit more $$$ than buying a surplus, but stick that Krieger on it and you will be handing it down to your grandson.

THAT'S COOL!!! I bet it'll be a great shooter!!! thumb

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Canadian company referred to above as "Marstars" is actually "Marstar". Their website is at

http://www.marstar.ca

and they list USED #4 Mk1 barrels without a price, saying "call them". Click on "rifles and parts" to see the listing. This may mean that they have a variety of barrels in different conditions, but it would be well worth a call, anyway. The vast majority of wartime-produced #4s actually saw service, I believe, and "new" barrels may be hard to come by. I would think that a very good or better barrel would serve your purposes quite well, as most of the #4 rifles that come to us seem to perform very nicely with their 'used' barrels.

A true duplication of the barrel by a modern maker would be extremely difficult due to the bayonet lugs being machined right from the steel of the barrel blank itself, near the muzzle. Personally, I think it just doesn't "look right" if those lugs are missing. The .22 versions of the #4 don't have bayonet lugs, and the muzzle area looks odd to me....of course, I'm a picky ol' SOB and it probably doesn't matter to the other 99.9% of us.

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote