Find
Notify
Tools

mcmillan stock ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted
i am wanting to change the stock on my remington 700 sps in 308 it currently has the remington sythetic on it if i change the stock it wont have the nipples for the upward pressure . so would this most likely help or hurt the gun ? i know every gun is different just tring to get the most accuracy out of it as i can was planning on bedding it also.

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rick boggs:
...so would this most likely help or hurt the gun ?

Do you mean "help or hurt" in terms of accuracy?? At least that is what I assume you are asking about...

I have to admit I don't know the barrel profile on an SPS, but if the picture on the Remington site is anything to go by, it is a (pretty slim?) sporter profile...

So, the answer is, that you won't know how your gun will shoot when floated until you try it. Most guns become less susceptible to changing POI due to heat when floated. But, in particular with a lighter profile, there is no guarantee floating the barrel will not affect the group size adversely (but then again, groups could also stay the same, or shrink...). You won't know until you have tried.

You could always try to float the barrel in your current stock (e.g. by shimming the barrel root with pieces of carton), and see how the gun reacts. It is no big deal to either pressure point the barrel in the McMillan stock - or even to have the barrel full length bedded. In any event, when changing to the McMillan, it is a good idea to bed the action - to get the most out of the new stock.

As I mentioned above, I have no experience with the M700 SPS, but if most (affordable) factory synthetic stocks are anything to go by, the SPS stock might well be injection molded. Those stocks are often pretty floppy in the forearm, so there is a chance (not a guarantee) that the stiffer forearm of the McMillan might actually help you accuracy wise.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
thanks for the response after price checking thinking about a hogue or b&c it is a sporter the pic is it except mine has stainless finish i know u never know till you do it was just wondering about the odds seems floated should be better but i did float 1 before and ended up adding a spacer back the stock is injection molded .

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a rifle get properly installed into a good stock that didn't shoot better than it did with a factory tupperware stock, and I've done a few.

If your rifle decides it likes a pressure point better than a free float, it is a piece of cake to add one back into an aftermarket stock.

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I put an Accurate Innovations laminated stock on my .375 H&H SPS and it made a MOA shooter out of it. Cost about $250. The tupperware stock they come with is worthless IMO........Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote