New
Find
Notify
Tools

No.1 .357 mag. to Max
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who is a good choice to lengthen the chamber on my Ruger No.1 .357 Mag. to .357 Maximum? Any suggestions on throating? The factory throat is rather long. Any pitfalls? Thanks.

Posts: 402 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I actually had the same question.

I have a 357 magnum #1 and saw a 357 Mximum #1 that was a limited edition several years ago and thought of a conversion?

Can it still shoot 38 Spc
Can it still shoot 357 mag

I thought it would be good for my daughter for boar and bear over dogs.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Its a very simple lengthening of the chamber, anybody that can chamber a firearm can do this conversion.

Yes, .38 special & .357 mag can be fired .357 max chamber. If you fire very many of the shorter rounds you'll need to scour out the crud ring so that the .357 max can fit.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is one of the few scenerios where a good, live-pilot reamer, extra-long t-handle, and your full concentration make it hard to screw up chambering by hand. That's what I did with my no.1 in .357 at least, and it resulted in a seemingly flawless chamber 10 minutes later...

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have reamed a number of 38 special revolvers out to 357 magnum with a few twists of the wrist with a .380" straight fluted $18 reamer.

But if I had a a rifle that I wanted to shoot tight groups at 100 yards, I would do things differently.

I would put the barrel in the lathe, dial it in, and make a chamber that fit the 357max ammo as tight as 6mmPPC chambers fit fit 6mmPPC ammo.

I would run the loaded ammo through the sizer without the decapping stem.
I would measure the mouth diameter.
I would order a straight fluted reamer with no clearance.

The last thing you want is a SAAMI chamber if it is accuracy you seek, and not fast feeding.

Here is the .3800" I got, but you may want a .3790" or .3810"
http://www.jlindustrial.com/CGI/JISRIT?origin=VIRTUAL:V...d=%26mode=%26epcode=

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That straight fluted reamer sounds like a smart way to go for a revolver cylinder, but he'd need a throat for his rifle chamber.

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
FYI, the 357 max 158 gr factory load in a rifle gives the same ballistics(Energy) as a 30-30. I clocked them at 2300 fps in my Winchester lo-wall conversion. PS: I used the factory loads as a proof load---I shoot cast bullets at 1300 fps in the thing. Same chamber as a 38 Extra Long from the 1800's.