Find
Notify
Tools

Swivel stud
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a fancy grain thumb hole stock on a custom Mauser

Someone miss drilled and installed front sling stud off center , enough to Make me want to fix it .

Is there a tapped bushing , larger than the existing hole that I could install and both cover mistake hole and provide new in center hole ?

Bob

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1302 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe some type of brass threaded insert ?

Trying to not get into a wood plug and refinish stock :-)

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1302 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Several people on here could make a brass bushing threaded to fit a swivel stud. What diameter would it have to be to cover the "mess up". You may want to mill the hole instead of drill it out though.

Or any local shop should be able to do it.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A dime seems to cover the mistake up and get me back on center

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a brass escutcheon I found. Maybe this will work.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/353180.htm

You could also use a steel or brass fender washer inlet into the stock.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Dimes are .720 or so, OD; and you need a piece thick enough to provide a ledge to set into the wood, and threaded in the middle for the swivel. Or a threaded one. I could make one...

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking there is probably some fine furniture hardware brass insert that may work . But it needs to be. The right thread .

A simple brass washer may work as well , but with out a rim , the hole would have to be with clean edge . If it had a slightly larger rim , the hole wouldn't have to be so precise and clean

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might take you up on your offer DP !

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are not married to standard swivel studs, a flush cup system may be wide enough to clean up the issue.

They are a good system and leave a clean stock when the sling is removed.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
How far off center is the original.

I could see a wood plug glued in to look like an accent IF the original is not too far off.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4259 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas guys
I'm thinking now to make a wood plug out of ebony just large enough to cover existing hole and get me centered back up . Flush mount it and glue it in . Tap new hole in center and install stud . This would match the ebony forearm tip , and look good ....

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might this cover it up? Swivel base

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Montea
I really do like those - not sure how wide they are .

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Cat:
Montea
I really do like those - not sure how wide they are .

Off the top of my head the Dakota ones are 3/8" wide because I used an end mill for the inletting. If you need a little more width some of the other ones are more oval, bulging a bit in the middle. They would take a little more work to inlet, but might do the trick. Maybe somebody here could measure a pair, or check Brownells to see if they publish the max width? Even if you fall a little short of being perfectly centered you might get close enough that it is not readily discernible.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote