THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Scope mount hole repair gone bad... Need gunsmith advice

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope mount hole repair gone bad... Need gunsmith advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked up a used WIN 94AE this afternoon and found a nasty surprise when I pulled the front scope base off.

Looks to me like someone tried to grind a flat into a broken screw with a dremel cutoff wheel and gouged the receiver, and then proceeded to drill it out with a regular drill bit so the hole is both oversized, and deeper than the factory hole (~1/16"), so the hole extends down into the barrel meat.

1. Does the hole extending slightly into the barrel make it unsafe?
2. Assuming its safe, any suggestions on how to fix? (retap for #8 screw? what about the gouge?)
3. Will Tig welding destroy the receiver heat treat?

My plan was to use a rear peep sight, so front of receiver will be open (cant hide the gouge under a base).

Appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

Posts: 139 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Advice.
Remove the barrel, drill and tap for 8-40. The gouge will be covered by the base. I don't like to weld 94 receivers as they are made from sintered iron; not saying it can't be done. Hole in barrel is not a problem as long as you don't go too deep. I see you don't want a base on there; put one on anyway to cover up the gouge. If it was mine I would grind the receiver, or file, the gouge out. It is difficult if not impossible to blue post 64 94 receivers; I have polished them bright before.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input.

My plan was to hard chrome the entire rifle, so not too worried about re-blueing.

Any idea how much of a job is it to remove the barrel on a 94?

I'm trying to figure out whether to try to return the rifle to the seller and get a refund, or get fair $ to offset the repairs.

Posts: 139 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The barrel on a 94 screws in. So barrel vice and action wrench. As dpcd said I would cover it with a base. Since you are going to hard chrome it it doesn't look that deep and should be easy to remove the cut. I wouldn't weld on it.

Your seller might not have known unless he had removed the base or did the work himself..

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've blued many post-64 94s. Brownels sell the salts; not a big deal at all.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brownels sell the salts

Years ago when I was doing a lot of bluing I always had issues with the darn reciever having a red cast. Finally found better salts while it did take a little longer to cook got rid of the red. tu2

Haven't see a 94 John has done but I love his other bluing.

Case harden is another option. Have trouble gitting a hard chrome 94 picture in my head. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Brownels sell the salts
Have trouble gitting a hard chrome 94 picture in my head. Big Grin

Just imagine it with a Harley logo the chrome will come naturally.
I suggested Turnbull. But he's looking for a utility gun, some finish that will have a high rust resistance low maintenance kind of thing.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just imagine it with a Harley logo the chrome will come naturally

rotflmo

After a glass of wine a bead blasted hard chrome wouldn't be too bad.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Turnbull won't color case a post 64 94; last time I asked them. 94 barrels are not on tightly at all; they come right off; not much of a shoulder to torque on so anyone can do it.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
"...looking for a utility gun, some finish that will have a high rust resistance..."

Paint it.

John Farner

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
A competent gunsmith can TIG that particular hole. That portion of the receiver doesn't do anything other than to help support the receiver threads. The area you want to avoid heating is back behind the bolt where the locking bolt engages the receiver. That is the critical area on this particular receiver.

And where it isn't in any danger of becoming valuable, I second the "Paint it" suggestion.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strip the receiver of it's finish. No need for extensive polishing. A fine wire wheel w/oil or even a brightening up w/ scotchbrite will be sufficient.
You just want to remove the original blue, not change the contours, edges, ect.

Plug the holes with steel plugs. If done right they can be made invisable. The gouge can be dressed up with a slight recontour of the ring at the same time.
Match the polish of the ring in with what you've done to the rest of the frame.

Rust blue the frame.

No need to pull the bbl to do this unless you don't have a rust blue tank big enough to take the bbl'd action.
The bbl's come off easily (usually!). The frame and small parts can be rust blued (boiled) in a small container on the stove top.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Rust blue a post-64? Is that possible?

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rust blueing post 64 '94 Winchester receivers works very nicely. I don't know why everyone frets so much over them w/special hot blue salts and the like.
They do come out every bit as nice as any other using cold (slow) rust bluing technique.
Nothing special,,I'be been using Laurel Mtn soln for many years now on everything cold rust blued.
If I do quick rust blue something I use Mark Lee's soln.
Recently I've been putting one coat of Mark Lee's quick rust over the top of the last slow rust coat of L/M solution.
It has permanetly cured any after rust problems for good for me and gives the final finish a better 'blue' color'.
Just one quick light coat though right after you card the final slow rust coating off. The residual heat of the parts is usually enough to dry and rust it so it can go right back into the tank for 5 to 10 min. Then card again, hang and let cool.

I will admit I've not had as good of results trying to use quick rust blue for the entire process on frames and other pieces with large flat areas. Those seem to show small discoloration streeks,and marks at times from the quick rust operation that don't show up when slow rust bluing is used.
Seems I can get away with that one quick rust coating at the end w/o any damage and it enhances the looks and ends any after rust problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate all the input and suggestions. Will evaluate costs for the different options and hopefully have it up an running by the Spring.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I would take it back to who ever sold it to you AND if I found out that they knew about the missed up holes.....Well it wouldn't be pretty.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote