New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Cleaning rods
 Login/Join

<atlasmlc>
posted
Guns are a new hobby of mine. I need to get a decent cleaning rod. I'm sure many of you will swear by dewey, and that's probably what I'll get....But here's the big question:
What difference does the diameter make? I mean is it ok to get one for .22 caliber and use it for .308's or are they too weak when the variance is this much? I really don't want to throw more money than necessary to this item, when there's so many other things to waste those $$ on.
Thanks.

------------------
Happy Hunting

<George Capriola>
posted
Best thing is to buy Dewey rods right from the start, and get it over with. I wouldn't consider anything but a coated, one-piece cleaning rod. I've used my .22-.26 rod for my .308, but the thicker .27 and up caliber rod works better with a tight patch. I like pierce style jags, and nylon brushes. You can get everything you need from Sinclair International ( www.sinclairintl.com ).
Regards, George.

<atlasmlc>
posted
Thanks for the info.

------------------
Happy Hunting

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
atlasmlc - Both Dewey & Bore Tech make several diameter rods - .17, .22, 6.5mm, .277 Caliber, and .35 and Up. It is best to use the rod that is closest to the bore size. This ensures a stiff rod and that the rod does not come it contact with the lands. Make sure you also use a bore guide with these rods.

Ditto George on Sinclair!

[This message has been edited by Zero Drift (edited 02-05-2002).]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<genesispg>
posted
I happen to prefer ProShot rods, jags, and powder solvents. You can get them direct from proshot at 217-824-9133 or at grafs or lock stock and barrel.

If you do get Dewey or BoreTech rods, make sure you only get a rod just as long as needed . I had a tough time getting a BoreTech 44 inch rod down my dirty Ruger barrel but had no problem getting the 36 inch Dewey rod down the same barrel. The longer rod was too whippy.

You will be happy with ProShot Rods.

<Indiana Tone>
posted
Ditto on Pro-Shot.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
genesispg -

How dirty WAS that Ruger barrel?

R-WEST

------------------
"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
You don't want a rod that flexes and bumps the innards of your bbl but I think Zero Drift gave best advice in making sure you use a bore guide...it is good insurance on lots of problmes.

<genesispg>
posted
The rifle is a rebarreled Ruger #1V in the 221 Fireball. It is long throated(I aam able to seat the bullets out to 1.98 inches). It leads up in the first few inches of the barrel just beyond the chamber. The rifle remains accurate so I clean it every 50 shots. (Not so long a time frame when shooting woodchucks). With a Sinclear bore guide for the #1, I could not get the long 44 inch rod down the barrel. It is no problem with the ProShot rods. I attribute that to the use of stronger and thicker steel in the Proshot rod(Proshot uses real steel instead of spring steel).

Also, if you go to Dewey's website, you will see that they sell both steel and coated rods. It makes you wonder which they think is best.

[This message has been edited by genesispg (edited 02-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by genesispg (edited 02-08-2002).]

<allen day>
posted
Before you invest in a cleaning rod & related accessories, check out the Bore Tech website:

www.boretech.com

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think about any rod is OK as long as it is stainless steel and of one piece construction..Use a bore guide, homemade or bought..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<atlasmlc>
posted
Ray,
I saw your post a while back for a homemade rod guide. It really works great and is "tight as a tick" in my barrel. One slight modification I made: I used a golf club shaft. They are tapered and you get a larger entry port. You can get 100's of them at your local thrift store for a couple of bucks each. (Or you can just look in the corner of my garage!!)

------------------
Happy Hunting

<Bearhunter>
posted
Go with the best to start and save yourself some money. I've tried many, but my vote goes to Bore Tech.

I used to think that Dewey was the only way to go, until I tried Bore Tech. Deweys' bearings in the handle will fail. They will stand behind them and replace handle, but what a hassle. Bore Tech has extra heavy duty handles, and I have not worn one out yet. Try'em...

<jrpilot>
posted
Rey, I was wondering if you could share your info on the homemade bore guide. I did not see it the last time it was posted.
Thanks alot.

<jrpilot>
posted
Rey no need to reply to my question. I just had not looked down but I saw it and it sounds like a good idea.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Atlas,
I have gold club shafts all over the shop, very good idea....thanks

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<bearlake>
posted
What is the importance of a bore guide? Why should I use them and what do they do?

<bearlake>
posted
Anyone-anyone?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearlake,
As you push the rod into the bore, the rod arcs and will touch the throat sometimes, this will tend to polish out the sharpness of rifling, detrimental to accuracy.

By using a bore guide, it restricts the arcking so the throat area is protected.

Better bore guides even have a solvent port to preclude dripping of solvents that ruins wood, nickel plating, and bedding.
Pyro

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<bearlake>
posted
thanks!

<dr280>
posted
Just got my new Bore Tech rod today-one word-
AWESOME- much better handle and ball bearings than any others out there. I sent an email to Ray about his bore saver idea- I think I can make the golf club deal- I do have a graphite driver shaft to use.. any other inexpensive ideas???

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted Hide Post
I like Pro Shot with their spear tipped jag.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote