New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! I did something screwy!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was feeding the cartridges into my mod 70 classic 375 for my upcomming cape buffalo hunt and I figured it would be a good idea to remove the firing pin. Pushed the button and attempted to unscrew the back of the bolt. The rear portion of the bolt rotated one turn and locked. The safety is in the fire position and the firing pin is all the way foreward. What did I do and how can I get it fixed. The local gunsmith is notorious for odd hours and long waits to get work done. I am sure it is something simple but I don't want to break something with 3 weeks to the hunt. HELP!!!! Thanks "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know this doesn't help now, but next time make sure the safety is in the middle position. [Wink]

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DHunter, I'm not an expert but what you will have to do (and those out there seeing this correct me if I am wrong) is to pull the cocking piece back by securing it in a vice once you do this you should be able to turn the shroud back into the original position. Then after that, just as was said before me, place the safety in the middle position and you should be able to unscrew the shroud easily.

<eldeguello>
posted
If you hook the front edge of the cocking piece (the surface which engages the sear) over the sharp edge of a table or other fixed object, you can draw the cocking piece back against the tension of the striker spring until you can engage the middle position of the safety, then proceed to dismount the striker components from the bolt body in the usual way. Another alternative is to put on a pair of gloves, grasp the bolt plug with one hand and the bolt body in the other, and rotate the bolt plug back into the cocked position by hand. You'll have to depress the little spring-loaded bolt plug lock in order to turn the bolt plug. After recocking it, put the bolt back into the rifle, close it, and put the safety in the middle positon. Then take the bolt out of the gun, and disassemble it as usual! [Big Grin] DON'T PUT THE COCKING PIECE IN AN UNPADDED VICE!! THE METAL IS HARDENED, BUT YOU'LL MAR IT FOR SURE IF YOU USE A VICE!!

[ 06-28-2003, 21:48: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Not owning a M70 it sure does sound a lot like the way a Mauser works. I use a shoestring to hook on the cocking piece and pull back like others have said until it clears and then reset the safety to the middle position. It really keeps the wife from getting PO'ed when your bugger up her table.

-M

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got it quick and easy. Check the African hunting forum for details. Thanks for your help. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you put on a glove or have tough hands you can turn the bolt shroud and recock the bolt otherwise you will be using a vice or somthing simular. If you can twist the bolt put it back in the rifle and clost it then put the safety in the center position.

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[Big Grin] DON'T PUT THE COCKING PIECE IN AN UNPADDED VICE!! THE METAL IS HARDENED, BUT YOU'LL MAR IT FOR SURE IF YOU USE A VICE!![/QB]
I thought of that, but for most people this is really tough to do if they haven't any experience in doing so. But you are correct this is a better way to do it and will not mar the finish of the cocking piece. I have seen people do it in a vice with the jaws of the vice protected from the piece by using shims or some thin plate stock.