New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless Steel action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have an idea where I can find a SS action with CRF ?

Looking for a 300 or 338.

Will be building a custom, so am only interested in the complete action.

Thanks for any advise.

Professional Hunter - Tanzania

Posts: 88 | Location: So. Cal & Tanzania | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Montana Rifle Company is going to be the only one that I know of that you can buy just the action...

You will have much better luck buying a SS Win Model 70 and then parting it out

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=149373306

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Montana Rifle Company is going to be the only one that I know of that you can buy just the action...

You will have much better luck buying a SS Win Model 70 and then parting it out

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=149373306

I had a montana 1999 action on order since July and was informed that in might be another ten weeks before it ships (Just an estimate). The parts are tied up because some third party went bankrupt. Same issue as the PH. So I cancelled my order and went with a used Sako. I'm really happy with my Sako action and I'm in it for less than the 1999 would have set me back.

When the 1999's go back in production, I will definately consider buying one, but right now I can't wait for some unknown time to get my action.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Win M70 is a much much nicer action than the Montana. I've built a few Montana's for customers and never been impressed at all.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you need to build a custom when you can have this factory one in .338 all ready to go for $1150 plus shipping.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all that replied.

22WRF

Nice looking rifle.

I designed a wildcat and want to build a SS version. Would hate to part out that rifle, too nice looking.

I've never posted photos here before, but will try to show you what I have now -

I built a 338-375 Ruger.

L - R
338 250 grain Swift A-Frame
375 Ruger case
338 250 grain Nosler partition

The design on the case was not extremely aggressive.

I made the neck a bit longer than 'normal' and have more case taper than most would use. I need it to extract and eject even in quite hot conditions.

Shooting 3 shot groups pretty well at 100, . . . . .(sorry the photo is not crisp, but you can still see it well enough to get a good idea of the accuracy ) -

(Commercial Mauser action, Bartlein barrel)

I need to do more load development in the near future (after the new year).

I started with R-19 and R-22. Both shot well. I need to slowly add some powder as I did not get to max load yet.

Posts: 88 | Location: So. Cal & Tanzania | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil

That is a great looking Rifle you have there. Did you make the stock. Is that a mark X action. Very very nice rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
22 WRF

Nope, I didn't make anything. Contracted it all out, smithing, reamers, dies . . . . everything.

I was discussing this project with one of my clients and he said he would mail me a stock blank he had lying around. The wood is nice enough for a hunting rifle. It is very straight grained and plenty strong. Still have to get it checkered.

Chronographed close to 340 ballistics with my first loadings.

Now I want to build a SS version and put it in a glass stock as a real take anywhere hunter.

It is built on a Whitworth, 300 Win Mag, so yes, it is a Mark X.

I have been quite pleased with how it came out and how it shoots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A M70 winchester in any magnum caliber, 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag, 338 win mag, would be perfect for a donor action. They are better actions than the montana in my opinion, and can be found in the $600 range at most times on gunsamerica. I don't think the montana is significantly cheaper than that anyway.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/944...NLESS_338_WIN_MA.htm

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Phil, not sure why you are going to all the trouble, when a .338 Win. Mag. of the type that 22WRF offers is the perfect solution.

That would be just the ticket, IMHO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil, what is the smaller shoulder dia. you settled on?

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mrlexma,

Well, my project started out with one thing in mind and it is what you see above.

I have the reamers, dies, brass etc. and a rifle. And it seems to shoot fairly well.

My goal was to get 340 ballistics in a standard length action with a non belted case, which I did.

I took the rifle to New Zealand (on the way to Tanzania) to try it out on Tar and Red Stag. It worked pretty well. Then tried it in Tanzania and it worked there as well.

So far, I'm happy with the results, although, the testing on a random sampling of animals is not conclusive, that it will be a total success. However, it does push a 250 grain Swift A-Frame fast enough, so I'm optimistic.

I was just thinking a SS version might be a better idea in the long run when in Tanzania. As you know, rifles take beating in Africa.

You are correct, it would have been MUCH cheaper to have gone with a 338 Win Mag like the one above, however, I have my own brand of a 340 Wby. now, and it seems to work and I like it.

That does not mean it is far and away better than a 338 Winnie. It is only above the Win Mag the same as the 340 Wby. is. It will handle 250 grain bullets better than the Win Mag and as you know, I am a fan of heavier bullets. So for me, it was a success. Albeit an expensive one.

A SS version will be quite a bit less costly (I hope).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
Phil, what is the smaller shoulder dia. you settled on?

I do not have the reamer specs. They are at the smiths (I had planned to do a SS version, so told him to keep the reamer and cut a barrel while I was gone).

I had the idea of this cartridge, but time was short before I was leaving for Tz. so things happened pretty rapidly.

I was on the phone and internet getting advise on as much as I could, as I had no experience in designing a cartridge.

Basically, I had the idea and wrote checks to the experts. I send 5 different drawing to a smith that has extensive experience with wildcats (who was making the reamer also) and in the end, just told him to use whichever drawing he thought would serve my purposes, be the best design (in his opinion) and easiest for him to work with, overall.

So, that's what I ended up with, one of the 5. I was busy with stuff, he was trying to get it done before I was leaving, and I trusted his judgement. I thought everything would work out well, and it seemed to.

Deadlines were very tight and I received the rifle 12 days before I was leaving. I was not sure I would be able to do enough load development in the time I had. But got close enough that I decided to take it.

So, specs I cannot provide just now.

But, as I said, I am pretty happy with it so far.

If you PM me your address, I'll mail you a fired case if you want.