Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How do you remove a shiny finish ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
Thanks. I didn't know if the stock oils reacted with the plastic.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate, it doesn't matter what the finish is. The oil is just a carrier for the grit. You gently take all of the residue off after you do the polish. I did not explain the process very well. But that is basically it. Dont rub to hard or polish too much. If you use 5f rottenstone you can put a shine back on it but it is not the high gloss.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few Browning rifles with a veery shiney finish(factory) and I want to remove the shine without completely refinishing the stock.
a local smith said to rub it down with fine steelwool, using lindseed oil as a lubericant on the wool.
Any ideas or suggestions ?

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't strip it. Rub it out to remove the shine. Add some automitive rubbing compound to the ultrafine steel wool. Use water as the lubricant. Make long strokes not little circles. I can't see how linseed ont top of polyurithane can have any good effect.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I would use either Rottenstone or Pumice stone with any oil finish to cut the shine. I apply it with a piece of hard felt but a cotton rag balled up and dipped into the oil and then the rottenstone will give you a nice flat finish. You can find those products at most stores that have wood finishing materials or at Btownells. I would NOT use steel wool. It will leave linear scratches, even with the finer grades.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
What if it's not oil, Chic? I have a BBR that I'm contemplating too but I've never done anything other than scrape the poly finishes off.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I redid my 1885, sent the barreled action to a gunsmith for a 400grit finish. The stock I did myself with very fine wet/dry abrasive paper and water - just enough to remove the shine.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the browning ultraqshine (sometimes called 'wood chrome'.. at least by me) is PLASTIC.. more to the point, an epoxy finish.. winchester uses the same stuff on featherweight stocks..

abrasion is the only way to get rid of it.

Harry, I even kept a featherweight stock "wet" for about 24 hours, and it just barely DULLED the finish.. if i had rubbed it with a scotch pad, I bet it would have shined right back up.

I bet a sandblaster, with glassbeads, would help LOL

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the encouragement

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
opps, forgot to mention what i got it wet with...

critistrip

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote