New
Find
Notify
Tools

wanting to install aftermarket triggerin rem 700
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i want to install a aftermarket trigger in my remington bdl 22-250. but i need input on which on to buy and were to buy it from. can i do this my self? send input and i will see from there . thanks chad

Posts: 88 | Location: waterloo iowa | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can kit a 2 barrel carb or align a sattelite dish you can probably swap triggers on a Remington. Lots of people choose Jewell, Shilen, Timney and Rifle Basix as replacements for factory Remingtons.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chad-

From reading some of your other posts, I get the feeling that you'll have no trouble swapping triggers. An aftermarket trigger will come with instructions, but the very abbreviated version is remove the barrelled action from the stock, drive out two pins, remove the factory unit, replace it with your trigger of choice, reinsert two pins, and then maybe adjust a few screws to fine-tune it.

As to which one to use, it depends on your intended usage of the rifle. I'm figuring a 22-250 is gonna be a groundhog/prairie dog/paper puncher, so I'd recommend a Shilen. I used to use Timneys, and still think they're a fine trigger, but have come to like the Shilen better. Either can be adjusted light enough for a varmint rifle. If you want to go REAL light, as in ounces, go with a Shilen Competition trigger. I actually like it better than the Jewell, at about half the price.

Have fun & let us know what you decide on and how it turns out...

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can install it yourself with a proper sized good steel punch and hammer and attention to the instructions but they are simple to follow....as for triggers....your budget will might decide which you get....the top of the line-very good dependable and adjustable trigger might be the Jewell HVR.....it comes in stainless with side safety and factory type bolt release available.....Sinclair,Midway and others have this version and the price runs 215-230$....it comes adjusted to one pound and has springs to adjust it from 1.5 OZS to 4 lbs......and it is so crisp and repeatable that it will ruin you for some other triggers.......The Timmey is the lower end of triggers at 63$ and it adjust from 2-4lbs......these triggers have a safety...some of the benchrest only triggers WON'T use a safety and aren't safe for most uses away from a bench......a good smith can usually adjust a factory trigger to the weight of the Timmey but some charge as much as the Timmey cost........just follow the safety tips and checks after installing the trigger and adjusting it....the hard bolt action working and floor bounce test...with a EMPTY gun.......the Rifle Basix trigger is in the middle price wise and I only have personal experience with the Jewell and second hand from a Timmey.....HTH..good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote