New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre -64
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys, I bought a Pre -64 Model 70 that already was modified so no real collector value. I had a Krieger Barrel installed and just received a Mc Millan Sako Hunter stock for it. It is really shooting good.
Two questions:
1.Are there any issues milling the hook off of the rear of the trigger guard? Mc Millan told me that the trigger guard would be a bit proud and I am fine with this but that upward curve is not needed now. I want to machine the hook down to level and recoat. If any one has a spare I would be happy to purchase for a donor.

2. The extractor collar hangs up on the rear bridge of the action, it is wearing the bluing off there. Can I smooth that out or should it be flush with the OD of the bolt.
Again, I have several of the Classic style Model 70's for New Haven, SC and Portugal but this is my first Pre -64.
Thanks Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know why Mcmillan does not fix their Model 70 stock mold or inletting program. I have inletted several trigger guards to address their "a bit proud issue".

Posts: 763 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't answer about the stock but as to the collar for the extractor it should be flush with the bolt body and not hang up on the receiver. If you are brave enough you could adjust the hooks that hold the extrator and that would reduce the installed diameter of the collar therefore eliminating the problem, be forewarned the risk is that the collar hook can snap.
Good Luck
BB

Posts: 401 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Extractor collars are almost dead soft and can take a bit of bending and survive. Brownells sells some neat pliers that really help when assembling these. When they dont return to original size and lump up and hit the bridge you can hold the tabs together with some pliers and apply some quick heat with a micro torch at the lumpy spots and they take shape nicely. One thing to look for is a "fillet" of material in the collar grove in the bolt. I had one a while back that had an ever so slight radius in the groove at the sides of the factory cut, and the collar wouldn't rotate freely and hung up on the bridge. A little work with a fine safe-edge pillar file at the bottom sides of the groove and everything smoothed right out.
At the risk of getting a black eye, early M70's were not flawless. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kendog, Thanks for the advice. I was looking at Purchasing a new collar from Whisners. Do you think I need the tool from Brownells to re install ?I seem to remember doing a few in the past, it may have been on the newer Classics and I was able to struggle through without the pliers, maybe the Pre -64's are tougher?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, Wisners collars are better then original. I also ordered one from Jack First a different time and it came in a Wisner package! I kept thinning a Wisner one trying to free it up and I finally cut through it! THEN I discovered the janky factory machining I mentioned in the other post. Double check that groove on your bolt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken, will do. Thanks for the advice. This rifle is a 1963 build and from what I read they may not be the best examples of New Have craftsmanship.