Find
Notify
Tools

.338 Win Mag Barrel Length
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted
I have a Winchester Classic Stainless in 300 Win Mag that I am going to have rebarreled to .338 Win Mag. I will also be getting a fiberglass stock, brand to be determined. Primary use will be moose and bear hunting here in Alaska. The rifle now has a 26 in barrel and I prefer something a little shorter. Any reason why I shouldn't go with a 24 inch tube? Looking on the manufacturers web sites show that some use 24" and others 26". I'm leaning towards a 24" barrel.
Your input would be appreciated.

Anyone in AK have experience with Gunsmiths in state that you would recommend for this project?

JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKJD

The 24" will serve you well. Particularly for shots you will have in AK. The difference in fps will be in the 50 to 60 fps range and you will have plenty left to dispatch anything you run into.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AKJD, I have 2 338's, 1 with a 26" tube and the other is 24". Both are custom barrels. They both shoot the same loads at the same velocities, no difference. No difference in accuracy either. I am going to shorten the 26" barrel down to 24" when I restock this rifle just to make it a bit handier. Steve

Posts: 48 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote