New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith recommendation for FN rebarrel, please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Beloved FN needs rebarrel, and polished blue redone on bottom metal. Don't want to take a chance so looking for someone to trust, not an assembly line type outfit. Thanks for your time and trouble.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
I presume you are speaking of an FN Mauser action.

I am not a Smith, but I would like to remind you that if you live in Tucson you are living in one of the "Ferlachs" of custom Riflery in the United States. There are many many many fine Riflebuilders living right there in Tucson and one of them will surely be able to help you.

As for the brand of barrel, others on this forum state that if you wish to go with a quality barrel, then go with a Douglas Premium, a Hart, a Lilja, or a Krieger. I guess it all depends on what you would like to spend and just how accurate you want to be.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That FN desirved nothing less than a fine Germen Lothar Walter barrel. L/W also uses the original mauser barrel contours which would make a outstanding combination indeed.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug, but then if you felt it deserved something "more" rather than less , you could opt for a Krieger, still a good german name and fantastic quality. In all reality, doubt most people would notice the difference, except in the pocketbook.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue,
I am aware of the "Gods" who now only do complete rifles and Lawson. Unless there are others to check out I'll go to Lawson on Harry's recommendation.
Thanks all.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Easyup,
I have have work done by Lawsons and have been very satified. Joe Reed does most of the smithing and is top drawer. Turn around has not been bad either, unless you are having bluing done. He waits until he has full tanks of work before for starting. I understand why. So, the wait is a little longer if he has just done the bluing. Good Luck.
Jon In Tucson

Posts: 49 | Location: Tucson , AZ | Registered: 06 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Jon in Tucson

Let me see if I understand this correctly. Are you saying that Joe Reed now works at Lawson's.

The reason why I ask is because Joe Reed was (is) the guy that did the action shortening chapter in the Gun Digest Book of Custom Guns. And there are many people who come on this forum and ask for information on who might be able to shorten an action for them. So, if you happen to go over to Lawson's, would you please ask Joe if he still does action shortening, and if so come back here and report it to us.

Thanks.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also reply got returned?