Find
Notify
Tools

Stock refinishing question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I have a left handed Model 70 that has nice wood on it for a factory gun. The finish is nicked a bit here and there and the checkering could do with some recutting to clean up the lines.

Could a professional stock person re-do this to get the grain and figure of the wood to show better?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Looks like some type of stain/finish combo. Looks to me like there might be some hidden grain.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Its very possible that a proper refinish could revive the stock and show some more figure. Some fo the factory finishes can be rather "cloudy". If you dont have anyone in mind I do stockmaking/finishing and although I am not one of the big names I do great work.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a stockmaker and I also restore old rifles such as Holland and Hollands or high dollar doubles and bolt guns I would say that gun has some nice color to it and some grain and that any good refinisher could refinish the wood and recut the checkering to suit you..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an amateur here, but I've had difficulty removing some factory finishes. I suspect many are urethane types. Perhaps some of the pros here can offer some advice.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold, given your options to date, I would not hesitate to recommend Aaron.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's gonna cost way too much to do all that work. You would be better off selling it to me, I need a left hand action.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brice,
Use a epoxy removing brand.. I use Jasco Paint and Epoxy remover..When all else fails, scrape it off with your pocket knife.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Fjold, given your options to date, I would not hesitate to recommend Aaron.

+1 on Chic's recommendation.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote