New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry or wet - triggers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I always thought that triggers were best left dry for fear of contamination with dust etc and extra drag in cold weather.

Recent correspondance with a smith showed he preferred a very light film of light oil.

A recent trigger crept dry, was inconstant with a thin film of light oil and has been perfection with a tiny squirt of moly grease (even after the freezer test)

Any hard and fast rules or is it a case of whatever works?

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My preference is to follow your original supposition as mentioned in your post...keep the triggers dry, for COMPETITION shooting.

I found that to be pretty critical in my bench rest guns when I was an active competitor, particularly with triggers set at 2oz. or lighter (sometimes MUCH lighter). I learned that the hard way, with triggers that failed in mid-match on several occasions. Due to an accumulation of dust and carbon in the oil, the trigger pull would become variable, and sometimes allow the rifle(s) to fire as the bolt closed.

Apparently other competitors found the same thing, as one of the ranges where I shot regularly provided both lighter fluid or residue-free brake cleaner and compressed air for cleaning of triggers by competitors.

For hunting rifles with 2 lb. or heavier pulls, it is likely pretty much irrelevant, and becomes a matter of preference. At least in many years of carrying a rifle in the field, I never found it to matter there...

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I use moly grease on open trigger assemblies and dri-slide on those that are enclosed.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
I use moly grease on open trigger assemblies and dri-slide on those that are enclosed.

Hi, Westpac-

Just out of curiosity, the enclosed triggers to which you refer, do they include any of the Jewell BR triggers (2 oz.)? And at about what pull weights have they been set?

I don't know what it is about the Jewells, but on several occasions I have had to completely dissasemble them and wipe down each part, then reassemble, to get them to function with 100% reliability. They are my preferred trigger among all competition triggers available for bolt action rifles, so am not knocking them! But, even when no foreign substance was visible even in the least amount, I found it advisable to at least once per year completely dissassemble, clean, and reassemble them...

NOt trying to be argumentative, just trying to pick your brain about YOUR experiences...

Thanks for being patient with me.

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Hi there AC,

If I used anything on the Jewell trigger it would be Dri-Slide. I squirt the stuff in and then blow it out really good with the air hose. The trigger will retain what it needs.

I have seen finiky Jewells, but am a firm believer that because their tolerances are so close, and the pulls set so light, that the presence of a dry moly film help keep pivoting pieces moving smoothly on those hot days when the tolerances tend to change. I too would recommend washing the triggers (ALL triggers) and retreat them prior to the beginning of any of the seasons.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Try cigarette lighter fluid on those Jewells. A liberal flushing will clean them out and leave a lubricating film on them. Nothin' better..

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been doing a lot of triggers the last few years and that's exactly what I do.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pointblank:
Try cigarette lighter fluid on those Jewells. A liberal flushing will clean them out and leave a lubricating film on them. Nothin' better..

I must not have made my post very easy to understand.

The reason I began disassembling and wiping down the Jewell triggers on my BR guns was because using lighter fluid and compressed air did NOT clean them adequately. When I finally started completely disassembling them, wiping them down, and reassembling them dry, they began working much more reliably.

I understand this may not be a common experience, as I have not read of anyone else going this route. Still and all, it IS what I have experienced, so I mentioned it here for reader information. That of course does not ordain that anyone else is going to have to do it....

BTW, don't know if it makes a difference or not, but the air here doesn't usually contain much mineral dust. It does contain a very high pollen and other vegatative debris count though.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
BTW, don't know if it makes a difference or not, but the air here doesn't usually contain much mineral dust. It does contain a very high pollen and other vegatative debris count though.

I've heard of trigger assemblies experiencing a hiccup or two, now and then, but never a sneeze!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've heard of trigger assemblies experiencing a hiccup or two, now and then, but never a sneeze!

Dang!! Ya know, Westpac, yur pretty danged clever for one of us old guys. Now I'm gonna strain sumthin' critical tryin' to fetch up with ya..

But, you know Oregon, everything up here has to float, and still rusts. 'Ats why we use them stainless Jewells to start with (beats the rust purty much anyway). On reflection, if they ain't sneezing, maybe it's just the black clay mud in 'em?