Find
Notify
Tools

45/70 mag rattle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted
have a nice cowboy marlin in 45/70. everything is super...accuracy is great but has this rattle in the mag tube when loaded fully with 8 rounds.

now ive had several lever's and have never had this rattle before. i had an 86 win with the 26 inch barrel and full lenght under tube and no rattle with it.

is there a fix for this rifle and if so...is it more expensive then what i already paid for the gun

----------------------------------
when all is said and done...more will be said then done

Posts: 134 | Location: alaska | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does it only rattle with 8 rounds and not with less? The manual says it holds 9 rounds. Can you get 9 in it? What exactly are you doing to make it rattle? The magazine assembly is fairly straightforward; just a capped tube with a long spring and plunger. I can't imagine the fix would scare the cost of the rifle. It's likely the spring is catching on something or the plunger is bottoming against the weight of the rounds. The mag tube may be a bit large and lets the rounds rattle. As long as the function is not impaired I doubt it is a big deal.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted Hide Post
yes it does recieve 9 rounds and yes the action is flawless. no complaint about either and it is not a spring nor follower rattle. it is the cartridges rattling in a tube that is too large in dia for the cart heads.

problem is not in the working of the gun....problem is that it RATTLES! this is going into the woods with me as a hunting rifle and i want and expect a gun to be at least a quiet as i am or try to be

is there a thicker tubing that i can use as a mag that fits the cart rim a little closer or do i risk messing with the function by doing so? i want to retain the current holding rings for the tube but maybe with a thicker wall dia tube...it wouldnt have this rattle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have clearance on the inside of the tube between the plunger and the tube wall, you might acquire some thin HDPE(high density polyethylene) plastic sheet. You might be able to get it from a hardware store, hobby or sign shop. Cut a length for the tube and line it. Since your rifle is a cowboy type, it may have been made with a little extra clearance to assure feeding.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted Hide Post
good hint bobster. i never thought about the plastic liner...ill meassure it and see if there is room for a liner and if so how thin ill need the polly.

i guess that as i dont hear about anybody else having this problem...mine is maybe a problem by itself. if this is so...i guess i should give marlin a call and see if they have heard about this or if it is a gremlin pecular to my rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Unless you're sneaking up on outlaws or Indians natives, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote