New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRC action in Win stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would it be a easy job to drop a MRC barreled action into a Winchester stock?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i sent you a pm
max

Posts: 980 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got finshed putting a 1999 barreled action into Win. plastic stock. A fair amount of work and I'm not looking forward to the next one. Took quite a bit of removal of material and replacement with epoxy.
Also the bolt handle slot is too large. Good thing these will be working guns cause they ain't gonna be pretty. I'll paint them with Krylon Fusion.

These are .308's in a Win SA sporter stock. By no means "drop in".

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZUSA Model 3 uses a MRC 1999 barreled action. I got one of these stocks from CZ's supplier (fancy grade) for about $120.00 and it's a perfect fit, complete with recoil pad, sling swivels, etc. Of course in Alaska plastic may be a better choice but send me a PM if you want more info.
Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon, I know nothing of CZ's. Is that a long action?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparently the CZ3 was a Montana 1999 SA, but it's been discontinued and the no longer have any stocks or parts.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Winchester Super Grade stock patterns work. I got one from Macmillin

Posts: 23 | Location: Lakewood, Colorado | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ Model 3 is (was?) chambered only for WSM's so they were short actions.
I tried to respond to several PM's about the stock but AR "bounced" them for some reason.

The replies read: contact American Walnut Co. (660) 564-2537 and ask for Dustin. I was referred to them in Aug. 05 by MRC so I guess things have changed. The CZ3 may be gone but it's possible Am. Walnut has the patterns and might "run" a few stocks. Worth a try anyway. Good luck.
Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Jon.

Posts: 156 | Location: Brush Prairie, Washington | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Curious...
Did anyone contact American Walnut Co. about the CZ3/MRC 1999 stocks?

Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not me. I decided to go with a McMillan. Way cheaper and strong.
I never been accussed of being a Classic rifle owner. I just like things that work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:
Curious...
Did anyone contact American Walnut Co. about the CZ3/MRC 1999 stocks?

Jon

I did Jon, I spoke with Dustin a few days ago, he wasn't sure if he had any left and said he'd call back. Which he did this morning. I got the last RH, he has a few LH's left. Nice people to do business with, thanks for the lead.

Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad I was able to help.
I think you will like the stock. The checkering design looks (to me) somewhat like a Mod. 70 featherweight and the wood is very nice. My MRC 1999 is a .308 and has the same barrel contour (#2) as the short mag CZ3 so the fit is perfect. I did nothing but screw the barreled action into the stock and got 1.5" 100yd groups with no stringing. I have since glass bedded the recoil lug area and about 2.5" of the barrel at the breech. I also placed a dab of clear silicone between the forend tip and the free-floated barrel to dampen vibration. Groups are now a very consistent 3/4" and might improve if I can figure out how to lighten the trigger pull.
Now you've got thinking about getting another MRC 1999 Barreled action since I shoot left handed and LH stocks are still available!

Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to remmeber that they're for a #2 contour. I ordered 3 of the SA's when they had the introductory program. I got two of them as stainless .308 Win. barreled actions, one for me and one for my buddy, 50th birthday present for him. I'm putting them in plastic stocks since it will be his only all-around gun for big game.

I bought one other action in Chrome moly, not sure what I'll build on it. Since these actions are actually intermediate length they're perfect for 57mm's. Maybe a .257 Bob?

Anyway, thanks again for the lead.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

Did you get the fancy wood? Dustin said he had a field grade and a fancy and someone had spoken for the fancy. I have a field grade on the way.

Jon:
Thanks for the lead.

Jim

Posts: 156 | Location: Brush Prairie, Washington | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I did Jim. What are putting in yours?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stainless 300 WSM. #2 Barrel Contour.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JimD, you may want to check that stock. I was just speaking to MRC and they told me that the CZ3 they made had #3 contour barrels.

So I just took the Fancy stock I got downstairs and tried it with the MRC SA #3 contour barreld action I have and sure enough it fits like a glove. The #2 barrel will fit, it's only .020 smaller at the end of the chamber, just be a slight bit more clearance in the barrel channel, .010 on each side.

If you do decide to go ahead with the #2 I'd appreciate a photo of the barrel in the channel when you get a chance or perhaps Jon could post a photo of his. I'd like to get a #2 in there also but would like to see what it actually looks like.

Thanks, Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

No problem. I should be getting that stock next week. I'll have to measure the barrel profile, it may be a #3. It was a barreled action that MRC advertised last as overstock last summer. Ended up being marked CZ. They told me that it was a #2 contour though. Who knows, they never said a word about it being CZ marked in their ad or when I spoke to them on the phone. Maybe that's why they were sold with no returns, no exceptions. I guess I better turn the rant mode off.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Rob,

I received my stock today, it looks good except for one thing- it is for a LH rifle. I'll put up pics when they send me the correct one. Too bad, as it was quite a nicely figured stock.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JimD, would this stock fit a long action MRC? If it would I am interested in it

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
JimD, would this stock fit a long action MRC? If it would I am interested in it

Snowwolfe,

These stocks were leftovers from the CZ3's run and they were all short actions.

Rob

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
what does the stock cost for the LH verson

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It cost me one hundred three dollars delivered.