Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarreling a BLR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is involved in rebarreling a Model 81 BLR? I
purchased a factory barrel in .358 Winchester which has already been chambered. Is setting the headspace correctly all that is required, or do some other cuts have to be made? My gunsmith has never worked on a BLR. What type of action wrench is needed?

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably have to be adjusted so the sights are on top then the chamber cut to correct headspace. Use the same sort of wrench as would be used on any flat sided action. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3782 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill. This barrel has no sights, so that won't be a problem. My 'smith' doesn't have a .358 reamer. Can he set the headspace with a .308 reamer, or does just cutting the shank work if it is deep chambered?

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had occasion to look at the breech area of mine last week. I don't see any additional cuts in the breech end since the lugs engage in the receiver, not on the barrel. It should not be a problem other than headspace.

I'm curious though, did you purchase the barrel from Browning without sights?

Rob

[ 06-21-2003, 01:33: Message edited by: Recoil Rob ]

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had occasion to look at the breech area of mine last week. I don't see any additional cuts in the breech end since the lugs engage in the receiver, not on the barrel. It should not be a problem other than headspace.

Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought it from Midwest Gunworks, an outfit that is a large Browning parts distributor. Their web address is www.midwestgunworks.com.