New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rigby Sight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would a hunter writing around 1915 be referring to when he mentions a 'Rigby sight'?

My guess is he's referring to an express-style sight with multiple leaves, but I'd like to get other opinions.

Thanks in advance,
Washougal Chris

Posts: 116 | Location: Washougal, WA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Possibly Rigby's cocking piece peep.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the cocking piece sight set for distinct distances?

In this narrative, the hunter is constantly finding his sight set at the wrong distance - i.e. firing at an animal close by only to find the sight set for 300 yds. Would that be possible with a cocking piece sight?

Thanks,
Washougal Chris

Posts: 116 | Location: Washougal, WA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Rifle: Rigby 275

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf,
you are the man!
montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wahougalchris:

WHo was the writer? Was it CHarles Sheldon by any chance? Read one of his books last month and he made the same statement about troubles with his "new Rigby sight" on his rifle during one of his trips to the southwest

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Dear ALF,

Thank you very much for the pictures! Looks like it could have been a cocking piece sight after all.

Dear Marc,

Yes, it was Charles Sheldon from "The Wilderness of the Southwest". I'd read it a few years back but recently re-read it. Guess I know need to re-read his other three books!

Thanks for all the help!

Washougal Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Circa 1906-1919 A.O. Niedner, then located in Malden, Mass. was making a Rigby-style cocking piece sight. Did Sheldon say what rifle the sight was on?

one of us
posted Hide Post
C harles Shceldon hunted exclusively with a Jeffery 6.5x54R on a Dutch Mannlicher action. He would have it serviced, including th esight checnge, at Aberchrombie and FItch in NY, as they were Jeffry's US agent, as he put it. When he was having the problem with the RIgby Sight being turned to the wrong yardage on one of his trips, I assumed it was the Rigby cocking piece peep with the elevation adjustment wheel.

I was going to buy a reproduction of this sight back in October, but that same week I got a chance to pick up another G33/40 sporter at a good price (I have 5 G33/40 rifles or actions). THen I picked up a an old Springfeild sporter (again for a good price just for the action) a couple of weeks later, then Pac Nor delivered my .505 barrel and that hit my card, then there was a Brazilian 1908 (future action donor?) in VG condition I picked up real cheap, of course I was buying my monthly budgeted amount of sheep hunting books, then, well, I think the point has been made. Damn, reading about my spending habits reminds me why I had to stop drinking so many years ago-just went on and on for no appearant reason and with no end in sight. At any rate, I have not forked over the cash for a sight I have no inteded project, but just think is cool. Maybe in January? No, I have to be strong!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote