New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 TRIGGER
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to the lower the trigger on my M70 trigger (old style) I tried the adjustment nuts but the pull still needs to be lower for my liking.
Has anyone tried Ernie the gunsmith's trigger springs or the MCarbo ones?
The Mcarbo removes the two adjustment nuts but that leaves NO pull weight adjustment after that.
Also I do not want to cut my original trigger spring.

Thanx!
Hip

Posts: 1866 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first thing I do is to remove the spring altogether and see what the trigger pull is. You should be able to get it to cock and hold, with no spring, by pointing the muzzle at the floor. Pull should be less than a pound. I have a box full of springs and will substitute with whatever it takes.
If you want, you can remove the locknut, leaving just one nut for adjustment, and depend on Loctite to hold it in place once you have adjusted to the weight you want using the original spring. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive used Earnie's springs and it did lower it but dont know how much. Im not to picky as long as it feels good and is like my others. Course I'm a slapper and not a squeezer when hunting so doesn't really matter much.

Posts: 1145 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a heavy barreled varmint rifle. The original trigger was reduced to 2 3/4# but I would like it lighter.

Bill----I backed off on the nuts more but it wouldn't cock.

Hip

Posts: 1866 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can back off on the nuts enough that it won't cock, you don't need to change the spring. You do need to see if it will cock with the gun pointed straight down. It should cock. If it doesn't, open the bolt, push and hold the trigger forward (still pointing down) and close the bolt. It should stay cocked. If it does not, someone has honed the trigger and screwed up on the angle of the face of the sear or the notch in the trigger.
At this point, I am reluctant to try and instruct someone on how to fix it. If they are capable of doing the job, they will already know!
While it is usually no problem to get a Model 70 to 2 pounds or a little less, when they are set that light, you will not be able to drop the rifle butt first on the floor without it firing. This is no problem as long as you never load your rifle and drop it on the floor while looking into the muzzle! Regards, Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Thanks for your help----I will give it another try!

Bob/Hip

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 2-3/4 lb trigger is target ready IMO, but then Im a hunter of big game and varmints, three pounds suits me well..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but this is a heavy rifle with a very heavy barrel and a hugh stock!
By the time I lug it down to the firing line I might not have enough energy to pull a 3 # trigger!
Big Grin

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
This is a heavy barreled varmint rifle. The original trigger was reduced to 2 3/4# but I would like it lighter.

Bill----I backed off on the nuts more but it wouldn't cock.

Hip

Buy a jewel.......

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To get your trigger that light normally requires some careful honing of the sear, your in the danger zone right now..I assume your talking a pre 64 Win..a super good trigger. and at 1.5 to 2 lbs its just too light on a rifle IMO and unnecessary, but Im not the gun cop, so get after it and I wish you the best.

competition shooters use a slap triger that goes off when the bolt closes..a strange set up to this old cowboy, but was educated by one of SAeeds buddy competition shooters on the advantage of bench rest triggers and they sure don't work on buffalo and plainsgame.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a trigger below 1.5 lbs. your best off to get a bench rest one like a Jewel. The way to get a model 70 as light as possible is to put a lighter spring in it or thin the spring you have, Put the spring on a nail & run it up against a belt sander a little at a time. Keep checking as you go along.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanx Larry,
Before I try thinning the spring, I think I will go with Ernie the GS's lighter spring first.

Hip

one of us
posted Hide Post
Which vintage of M70 is this? Does the trigger have side to side play about its pivot pin?

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Early 90's New Haven, Ct.

Will have to check out the side play!

Hip