New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modifying a LH CZ 550
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently picked up a LH CZ 550 in 375 and intend to change it over to 458 Win mag (already have the barrel). It's quite a hefty rifle in 375 (9.5lbs bare weight) with stock dimensions that would please the Hulk. Having said that there seems to be more than enough timber in the right places to turn it into something a bit more handy but that will be a job for a pro and I want the metal work sorted first.

My questions are about the trigger and safety. I'm not sure what CZ were thinking when they fitted a set trigger on these large cals, but it seems to be an unnecessarily complicated option on such a rifle. Some seem to really like it and some don't. The trigger also sits quite a ways forward of the rear of the trigger guard. Should I persevere with the factory set trigger or swap it out for something simpler and that hopefully sits further to the rear of guard? Any other options, maybe from a local smith ?

There are a few 3 position safeties available for the RH version, but so far I have drawn a blank on one for the LH version. I know AHR have one but they will only fit it themselves and that's not feasible. Any ideas here ?

Any tips, comments or advice are welcome.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not quote me chaptere and verse on this but I belive that Ed Lapour can set you up with a left handed saftie. I am im the process of building a half assed scout style rifle on a 550 action and bought a Timeney trigger for mine.

B.O.H.I.C.A.

Posts: 49 | Location: Bakersfield California  | Registered: 27 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your message.

I contacted Ed a while back but he doesn't make a safety for the LH CZ 550. He does make one for the RH version and it looks like a nice piece of work.

Recknagel don't make them either.

Anyone know who is making the 3 position safeties that AHR fit to LH CZ's ?

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHIPKING3220:
Do not quote me chaptere and verse on this but I belive that Ed Lapour can set you up with a left handed saftie. I am im the process of building a half assed scout style rifle on a 550 action and bought a Timeney trigger for mine.

How do you like the Timney ?

Does it sit any further back in the trigger guard compared to the factory trigger ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Timney and Bold triggers in the past. They didn't appear to be any different from factory positioning.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
JFE, on the AHR website I think it says the triggers are for gunsmiths only. Maybe your local gunsmith can order the trigger and install it for you. I have two of the AHR rifles and the triggers and safeties are great.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
FWIW, when my 'smith adjusted the trigger to 3# pull, the set feature is defeated -- (1) Brno and (2) CZ's. Agree on the safety, but just live with mine. The Brno has an Ed Lapour (RH) in place of the original backwards one.

Posts: 4865 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback.

quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Well..I don't have one handy, but if memory serves, the bolt sleeve threads are same as 98...Recknagel makes a safety with lever on L. side for 98..mayhaps adapt?

I read somewhere that the bolt sleeve thread is a smaller diameter to the ones on 98's and doesn't fit. Might still be able to adapt one though.