THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Does the only screw on a MK V Weatherby adjust pull weight?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does the only screw on a MK V Weatherby adjust pull weight?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
There is only one screw on my one and only Weatherby trigger body. It is a MK V built in 2004 USA.
Does this adjust pull weight?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
Yeds, that is weight of pull but it is limited as the spring is heavy and long.

There is a second screw you can see inside the action, it is next to the large screw which holds the trigger in place.

In vast majority of cases if the trigger return spring is replaced (trigger needs to removed and taken apart) and the sear enagement is correct adjusted then a safe pull from about 1 to 1.5 pounds can be achieved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
...and then you need to set up the safety to work if you have adjusted the sear engagement.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I adjusted the bottom screw and am still not happy with the pull. A new spring may be in order.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
The Weatherby trigger is easy to adjust, you have to change the spring. It all falls in place after that. Brownell's has the springs in their assortment of springs......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted: a safe pull from about 1 to 1.5 pounds can be achieved.

May I suggest considering that a 1 pound trigger pull has little or no place on a big game rifle for use in the bush in many shooters' hands? It is too light for safe management by many.

Unless I knew the hunter and his capabilities very, very well, I would not knowingly want to be within about a township of a big-game hunter with a Weatherby rifle set up to that pull weight.

That, of course, is just my opinion, but it IS the way I see it. Others' opinions likely vary.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted: a safe pull from about 1 to 1.5 pounds can be achieved.

May I suggest considering that a 1 pound trigger pull has little or no place on a big game rifle for use in the bush in many shooters' hands? It is too light for safe management by many.

Unless I knew the hunter and his capabilities very, very well, I would not knowingly want to be within about a township of a big-game hunter with a Weatherby rifle set up to that pull weight.

That, of course, is just my opinion, but it IS the way I see it. Others' opinions likely vary.

I agree. A pull weight of 2.5 to 3 lbs. is about as light as you shoyld go on a hunting rifle. If gloves are involved 3.5 to 4 lbs. As long as the trigger is crisp these put weights don't seem as high. Does anyone remember the actual trigger pull when hunting? ......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I got a long length of spring Friday and cut a 1/2 length and re-assembled the trigger to a perfect 2 lbs. Almost as good as my Kimbers.

As far as you guys giving your oppinions on a safe trigger pull....Yes I do remember the trigger pull when hunting.
I HATE a 4 lb trigger. Trigger pull has no impact on my hunting safty if does yours I have to wonder why.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trigger pull has no impact on my hunting safty if does yours I have to wonder why.

All of my friends tell me my triggers are too light but, I've never had an unintentional discharge because of it.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Same here.