New
Find
Notify
Tools

A "little hiccup"!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A customer brought in a rifle & said he had a "little hiccup" with it. He shot a .308 Win cartridge in his Rem M700 .25-06! Luckily, he was not injured. The M700 fared pretty well, too. The bolt lip was wrecked, but the lugs had not set back in the receiver and the barrel was not harmed (made & measured a chamber cast). What's worth noting here is the strength & the safety of an M700 even when badly abused.

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes they are very strong and the "three rings of steel" thing is not just marketing; it does work. I have seen two 700s that were blown up by the same guy on the same day with .243 rounds loaded with pistol powder. He was an idiot but he didn't notice anything wrong except he couldn't open the bolt. So he grabbed his other rifle and proceeded to do the same thing. I had to pull the barrels, which were basically brazed on from the melted brass. In this case, the bolt nose and the barrel shank was expanded.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last week a customer brought us a M7400 in .270 Win that he said was "locked up" after he fired it. The bolt had unlocked and moved rearward partially with about 1/8 in of the case showing. We had to remove the barrel then the bolt. The case was welded to the bolt face. Using the vise and heavy pliers the case was eventually pried off. The primer fell out as it was removed. There was a large bulge in the case just ahead of the extractor groove. Brass had been extruded into every aspect of the bolt face.It was a factory Rem .270 Win. After replacing the extractor and ejector the rifle was put back into service.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Odds are that the pressure was not that high. Also, the strange thing about jacketed lead bullets, they have lots of squitchnumz. Even a bullet which is MUCH to large will go down a barrel with no problems without damaging the bore. Because of liability I am DEFINITELY NOT telling you to do this. But if it was Bubba, Bubba would check to see what headspace class the old bolt is. Grab an new one of the same class and put it in. Go upstairs and get a proof load. Fire it. Inspect it and turn it loose.

BUT DON'T DO THAT!

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I saw a guy shoot a 308 in a 270 Win Savage, apparently the 308 headspaced on the bullet being jammed into the throat of the 270 chamber. The fired case extracted easily and only when the brass was ejected into the shooter's hand did he realize what he had done. Checked by a competent gunsmith afterwards revealed no issues with the gun. The fired 308 bullet even hit the 100 yard target about 8" low.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

The big one we see here in Canada is 303 British fired in 7mm Remington magnums. Every ole-peckerhead has a 303 and the ammo gets mixed up with other stuff in the tobacco tin. For some reason the 303 headspaces just perfectly and fires. Lots of ruptured cases and smoke. Sometimes bulged mag boxes and cracked stocks in the mag well area but other than that, no damage to speak of. Some times, not even that. Just a pot bellied 303 case to show their buddy's. Lots of guys also claimed that the bullet hit the target. I have even heard of game being taken during such accidents.

Another one that is widely practiced here is to shoot 410 shotgun shells in Remington model 700s chambered in 300 Winchester. I would advise no one to ( ( ( ( EVER DO THIS! ) ) ) ) But it is done to death here by the mentally challenged. Reportedly, it only works in the Remington 700 because it seals off and supports the entire cartridge. They rupture in most other makes. Will here say that I actually put a 700 in 300 Winchester into my proof firing tank and fired about a dozen through it to test the theory and it worked with no adverse affects. But I would never personally do it outside of the totally enclosed, steel test box. So, DON'T DO THIS BUBBA ! I trust that you know who you are.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
coffee

The big one we see here in Canada is 303 British fired in 7mm Remington magnums. Every ole-peckerhead has a 303 and the ammo gets mixed up with other stuff in the tobacco tin. For some reason the 303 headspaces just perfectly and fires. Lots of ruptured cases and smoke. Sometimes bulged mag boxes and cracked stocks in the mag well area but other than that, no damage to speak of. Some times, not even that. Just a pot bellied 303 case to show their buddy's. Lots of guys also claimed that the bullet hit the target. I have even heard of game being taken during such accidents.

Another one that is widely practiced here is to shoot 410 shotgun shells in Remington model 700s chambered in 300 Winchester. I would advise no one to ( ( ( ( EVER DO THIS! ) ) ) ) But it is done to death here by the mentally challenged. Reportedly, it only works in the Remington 700 because it seals off and supports the entire cartridge. They rupture in most other makes. Will here say that I actually put a 700 in 300 Winchester into my proof firing tank and fired about a dozen through it to test the theory and it worked with no adverse affects. But I would never personally do it outside of the totally enclosed, steel test box. So, DON'T DO THIS BUBBA ! I trust that you know who you are.

Looks like the lead shot would fuse together and make a lead bullet of sort.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:

Looks like the lead shot would fuse together and make a lead bullet of sort.

God Bless, Louis[/QUOTE]

Actually, according to all reports, it makes a ragged enough pattern to kill Ruffed Grouse and Fool Hens at up to 15 yards when you are actually hunting Moose and Elk. But I can'y confirm it. The test tank has neither Ruffed Grouse or Fool Hens and the range before it impacts the cotton remnants is only about 6 inches.

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
I presume alcohol was involved at some point in these occurrences? Wink

quote:
coffee

Another one that is widely practiced here is to shoot 410 shotgun shells in Remington model 700s chambered in 300 Winchester. I would advise no one to ( ( ( ( EVER DO THIS! ) ) ) ) But it is done to death here by the mentally challenged. Reportedly, it only works in the Remington 700 because it seals off and supports the entire cartridge. They rupture in most other makes."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, after you see this stuff it makes you wonder why folks are so squeamish about firing .323 bullets down a .318 bore in old Mausers.

quote:
Odds are that the pressure was not that high. Also, the strange thing about jacketed lead bullets, they have lots of squitchnumz. Even a bullet which is MUCH to large will go down a barrel with no problems without damaging the bore. Because of liability I am DEFINITELY NOT telling you to do this. But if it was Bubba, Bubba would check to see what headspace class the old bolt is. Grab an new one of the same class and put it in. Go upstairs and get a proof load. Fire it. Inspect it and turn it loose.

BUT DON'T DO THAT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 308 fired in a 7mm Rem mag also pretty spectacular! This was an FN, had to take barrel off to get everything apart.

We has sold this idiot the rifle, so I darned chained him up while I did the disassembly. Finnaly pried the case head off and head stamp was sill visible.

He walked off in a huff, left his rifle and never came back.

Stock and floorplate were toast, but headspace checked and no apparent damage.

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Yeah, after you see this stuff it makes you wonder why folks are so squeamish about firing .323 bullets down a .318 bore in old Mausers.
[/QUOTE]

coffee

I get guys every second day in fits of hysteria wanting their guns rechambered to the CIP version, instead of the SAMMI version of whatever cartridge they are shooting so their gun doesn't blow up. I ask them: "where are you going to find ammo for it?"

Then I get the, BOVINE STARE !
Most of these cartridges were designed in the USA. It's not our fault that the damned Europeans can't read a drawing and transpose something from American standard to metric. Reading and math are not that hard. But I guess that's why they had to go to metric in the first place!

Rod Henrickson