New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble with Mauser extractor?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you do when you can't get an extractor to fit on the collar?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Getting the extractor back on the collar can be a real bear.

I've found that if you squeeze the sides of the collar into the groove so the tabs are as close together as possible, you can get the extractor started. If you can get it started, tap the hooked end of the extractor on your bench to drive it on a bit further. Once the extractor is started, you have to pull the hooked end away from the bolt and back so the little flange on the bottom side of the bolt will slide up and over the end of the bolt and drop into the guide groove.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The easiest way is a pair of pliers sold just for this purpose -- I believe Brownells has them.

I'm tired of fighting this battle myself -- I scratched the s!&%t out of a bolt / collar recently trying to get it back on -- never disassemble one the night before deer season! My next order from Brownells will include that pliers, if I can find it in the catalog again.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Todd says, buy the Brownells special pliers for the collar. Also works for any Mauser type action (M70, Springfield, CZ, BRNO, etc.) I ground the tips of mine a little, makes them work easier.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Ricks:
As Todd says, buy the Brownells special pliers for the collar. Also works for any Mauser type action (M70, Springfield, CZ, BRNO, etc.) I ground the tips of mine a little, makes them work easier.

Brownells # 080-017-000, $15.55 and worth every penny!!

Have fun

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should add, the orginal extractor was cracked, so I have tried replacing the extractor, and can't find one to fit. The collar must be to tight, can I just file it to fit?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSF1200:
I should add, the orginal extractor was cracked, so I have tried replacing the extractor, and can't find one to fit. The collar must be to tight, can I just file it to fit?

Take the collar off the bolt, to check the fit. It may need a bit of touchup. Also, one trick I have used is to bend a piece of clothshanger about 1-1/2" long into a "V" shape, and use it to hold the collar closed. As you push the extractor on, it will push the wire off...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also try reversing the collar, even though they appear symetrical, turning it around will sometimes make a differance.

One more tip, clean the inside of the collar and the recess in the bolt and apply a good grade of moly lube, it will make the bolt operate much smoother.

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got it to fit, I rtemoved the collar, and had to file it to fit.