THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    HELP! Mauser 98 Full length rib - rearsight fell off.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! Mauser 98 Full length rib - rearsight fell off.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
My 100+ year old Simson Mauser 98 has lost its rear sight! I was cleaning the rifle yesterday & noticed the sight missing. It looks like it fell off at the range over the last couple of trips.

Anyone experience this before?

I am really disappointed with this. I know I can get a Mauser sight replacement easily but it is not the same .... Frowner
Edited: Please help me guys. Where do i get the right base to fit the dove tail? Is it a custom smith's job?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11234 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. With age the solder cracks. Very bad luck and, as you say, it is not the same.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Please help me guys. I have edited the first post. Here are some pictures

Cheers.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
That's a real p..off Naki. Possibly still somewhere at the range, borrow a metal detector and spent some time there, I would to get the original sight back again.

Also check your gun bag if you were using one.

Sounds stupid but here's a story with a happy ending: was at the range one day when asked to assist a fellow safety instructor taking some young guys for range instruction. I stayed on and helped put the firearms away into his vehicle after the shoot. He rang me later that night to see if I could remember putting his beloved Sako 222 away as when he got home and unloaded everything the bolt was missing. I hadn't put that particular gun away but recall others putting rifles into gun bags and into the wagon. He searched his vehicle thoroughly and metal detected the range. He advertised and tried to find another bolt for the Sako. Nearly a year later he was having a bit of a clean up in his gun room and picked a gun bag up by the muzzle end. Guess what fell out. A dummy had put the Sako in the bag and dropped the bolt in loose.

So different circumstances and I'm sure you've checked your gun bag!!!

I hope you can find that valuable and nostalgic sight.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yes Wayne it is definitely a Military sight. The issue is that it is dovetailed into the rib while all the military rifles are round barreled and seem to have sight soldered on.

The question then is - Do I have to cut out the military sight and weld on the base wedge and then file it to fit the dove tail and have it soldered?

Any particular issues about welding on the steel and building up the base wedge on the sights?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Duane. They more than likely converted an existing sight.

Something like this one would work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/M98-MA...&hash=item485c601961

You would just need to cut the rings off and file the bottom flat and the ends to fit the dovetail. A few hours and you would have the base ready to go.

Instead of soldering it on, I would get a good tight press fit with the dovetail, and put in a screw in a hidden spot. Like the flat under the spring. I know this is altering an original, but soldering it presents other problems like damage to the blueing, etc. A small screw would keep it secure and allow easy removal should that be required.

Hope it helps. Sorry that you have to go through the hassle.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeremy. Much appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I bought a Mauser 98 military sight on eBay bit it was too big & long. Then I got this stayer? sight which is similar in size to the original and petite. It even has the front screw like Jeremy suggested.

The new sight base is concave and the edges will not fit the dovetail. It also looks higher than the original sight. Thirdly the new sight is in 2 parts. How do I go about welding bits on before I file and shape the dove tail to fit the rib?

Should I first weld the 2 part sight into one? Should I then add the base flat bit? How do I fit the leaf spring if I have the remove part of the base to get the right height?
Should this be TIG welded?

I do not do any welding but I can get it done by a few friends who do professional machine work.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both a military and a commercial sight on my bench. They are not the same, the commercial is about 2/3 the size of the military. No doubt one could play around and make a military fit until one gets the proper one. I could take some pics and Email showing the difference. JM2centsW. --- John

one of us
posted Hide Post
That original sight looks to be a DWM M98 carbine rear sight that has been modified. A rear sight for a 1909 Argentine or 1908/1922 Brazilian carbine would be a good donor. Here is a pic: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1029630.htm

These sights have solid sides and bottoms which I believe could be filed flat.

quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Please help me guys. I have edited the first post. Here are some pictures

Cheers.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote