THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    removing ADL sights - goofy question, but I need help!!!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

removing ADL sights - goofy question, but I need help!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there 1 screw or 2 screws in the front sight on a Remmy ADL? I took one out but it still feels tight. Do I need to knock out the front sight blade to get to a 2nd screw?

Also, where is a good source to get filler screws? Should I be able to find them at a local fastener company, or should I order them from Brownell's. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 325 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If it is still tight I would "assume" there is a screw under the blade. If you are just going to stick screws in them and not try and smooth it out I'd just use screws taken out of the scope base holes. If your are your local smith doesn't have any laying around contact Brownells or Remington.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ramrod! It wouldn't be soldered on, would it?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
It wouldn't be soldered on, would it

http://www.remington.com/support/parts/model_700/zoomView_schematic.asp

The schematic shows a screw under the blade.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
2 screws. Put the rear screw back in to hold the ramp steady while you drift the sight out of it's dovetail and then remove both screws.

This type of plug screw is typical of those found in the receiver.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...TOP?%20PLUG%20SCREWS

If you use this type, you may have to counter sink the hole slightly to get the head of the screw flush. You can do that by twisting a 3/16 or slightly larger twist drill bit between your fingers as if deburing the hole.

I prefer the full thread model which I can't seem to find on Brownells site at the moment.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good info from AR, as usual!

Nice tip about countersinking the holes

Thanks guys!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two screws. I found out the hard way, took the back screw out, same thing, so decided to drive sight, didn't put other screw back in, sheared off front screw. Oh well, the guy I sold it to didn't want sights anyway. That's why I are not a gunsmith. Roll Eyes

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote