New
Find
Notify
Tools

model 70 broken extractor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
so somehow my extractor broke and i can't figure out where to buy one or even how to remove the old one when i find a new one any help. i took a couple of pics to show what and where it broke. http://s148.photobucket.com/al....jpg&t=1285537190558

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Jim Wisner...If it's a push feed,continue your search

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking at your photo, it is one of those newer push control feed.
The only place I know of is the Factory for replacement parts.

James Wisner

Posts: 1443 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so i should be able to just call up winchester or whoever it is that owns winchester now and buy a replacement? or is the winchester parts people someone different. and thanks for the clarification of what it is james.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i figured out how to get the old one out last night. this morning called winchester ordered 2 replacement extractors an extra springs and plunger $25 shipped supposed to be here within the week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought that only Remington extractors broke and claw extractors were immune? Eeker

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
donno the after some more research on them the newer control push feed extractors seem not to be worth a flip. they are nothing like the older model 70 full length extractors that i found. if you look at the pic the little square piece of the extractor that you can see is the entire thing. it slides into a groove and is held in place by a spring and plunger. the extractor is made from cast metal and evidently is a problem. i spoke to someone today that used to hunt with me and he has a model 70 300wsm and had the same problem with his. its a cheap fix at $6 each compared to the older extractor prices that i came across but who wants to change parts all the time. this gun only has right at 3 boxes of bullets through it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
claw extractors were immune?

It's not a claw extractor that broke. It was a Remington style, push feed extractor.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway Gun parts

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The post-64 Model 70 extractor is actually a Mauser design (U.S. Patent 431.669 issued July 8, 1890). It is sliced out of precision machined steel rings and then heat treated. I have put thousands of rounds through a target rifle based on that action with never a bobble, push feed or not.

I'm glad to hear that the parts are still available.