New
Find
Notify
Tools

About to buy a custom in .300 AMU......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
......which is basically a .300 AI. So far, I can't find any specs on the AMU. I read on the net where one guy punched his out to .308 Norma Mag. Given the rarity of that round, I'm not fond of that conversion. Does anyone think you could shorten barrel a bit and make it a .300 Weatherby?
Any suggestions gratefully considered.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Maybe you mean 300 Norma, not the same as the 308 Norma.

The 300 Norma is based on a shortened 338 Lapua magnum.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I mean what I wrote. Geesh.

Both the AMU and the .308 NM use the .300 HH as an initial case, so the mentioned conversion makes sense.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had heard of an AMU on a 404 Jefferies case. I guess this isn't it.

Gotcha!

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pictures on amm-one. blown out&shoulder moved foreward 300 weatherby mag. similar to 300 jarrett but less body taper it appears. like full length 300 A.I.personally i would fire form 300 weatherby in it if dies can be gotten & you hand load. 300 weatherby seems to be one of the easier full length h&h cases to purchase these days. i dont know what the rifle is but its a good cartridge. i have seen many,many 300 jarretts that were .5 & better moa rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
as little taper as it appears it would take a few threads to get to 300 weatherby diameter but without the dimensions we cant know. is it a thousand yard heavy rifle or a sporter?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil:

It's a sporter made by J.K. Cloward on a FN action for "Ken Henshaw" (I suppose he is deceased but if anyone recognizes the name I'd like to hear more about him). It also comes with the original .338 WM barrel. I've always wanted a Cloward rifle so finally scratched that itch on what I consider to be an excellent buy on GB ($1050, mostly, I suppose, because of the caliber and relatively plain wood/stock work).

I've read, which certainly doesn't make it so, that the .300 AMU is very similar or identical to a .300 Ack. Imp. I really don't want to reload for this round, but anything is possible. I'd prefer to make it into a .300 Wea. or .300 WM. Maybe rebarrel?

Link to auction for pics: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/590354291

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,

Without any intention of being contentious, I have to ask because I'd like your opinion...

If you re-cut the chamber or re-barrel the rifle, is the rifle still a Cloward?

I see it as being a situation where if you change anything major physically it is no longer a Cloward but something other than that.

In that case, why not just buy a .300 Weatherby or a .308 Norma Magnum?

Regards.

Posts: 52 | Location: The Great Southwest | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cloward is closing down operations. There will be no more, I'd keep it as is

Posts: 3609 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because an ordinary chambering/barrel (not including special barrel work such as octagonal, etc) is not integral to the essence of a rifle, as I see it. In the end, it is my rifle and I am not concerned whether it is a "real" Cloward in someone else's opinion. I might wind up rebarreling it, and I can save the AMU barrel if some purists wants a "real" Cloward. I'm still gathering information.

I own at least 4 .300 Weatherbys, (luckily no .308 NMs) and want to shoot this particular rifle. I will shoot it, hopefully not in .300 AMU.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Cowards stock designs. When I was stationed in Whidbey Island a thousand moons ago, he was well known in the area. He had some nice synthetic stocks made by someone else. Fit great. Maybe not someone's ideal of a classic, but they felt amazing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Because an ordinary chambering/barrel (not including special barrel work such as octagonal, etc) is not integral to the essence of a rifle, as I see it. In the end, it is my rifle and I am not concerned whether it is a "real" Cloward in someone else's opinion. I might wind up rebarreling it, and I can save the AMU barrel if some purists wants a "real" Cloward. I'm still gathering information.

I own at least 4 .300 Weatherbys, (luckily no .308 NMs) and want to shoot this particular rifle. I will shoot it, hopefully not in .300 AMU.

I am with you FatCat, do whatever you want. It's your hard earned dollar!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice rifle. thanks for picture link.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,,
I just read that Winchester had made some special long range Model 70's that were chambered in .300 AMU. So, they would have some exact specs somewhere. A fresh new barrel chambered in the same case size might be the easiest solution.
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
......wDoes anyone think you could shorten barrel a bit and make it a .300 Weatherby?
Any suggestions gratefully considered.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
keep the original barrels and have a good smith put on a properly contoured barrel in your desired chambering and enjoy it.