New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you take a chance on this rifle ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a chance to buy an old BAR made in Beligum about a 1968 model grade II it shows a lot of use but seems well cared for, The owner said the bolt once failed to close fully a shell but never did it again and that he wanted a bolt action.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't want to sound negative about this but there is usually a reason for someone getting rid of an old autoloader.The reason usally is "the damn thing jams all the time". If you are interested in the rifle why don't you get a couple boxes of shells for it and take the gun to a range and try it for yourself.If the present owner doesn't care for this idea he is probably hiding something.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd take the chance on a Browning. If we were talking about a Remington, I might think twice, and then do it anyway.

[ 11-04-2002, 21:19: Message edited by: larrys ]

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
I second snowman, take it to the range. Another thing, you didnt mention the price, that is a big factor in any purchase of aa used firearm.

I have one in an 06, Beligum made as well, it was my grandfathers. THe rifle is well used(50+ animals) but cared for extremely well. The engravings on the sides (elk and pronghorn) are like new. I really like the way it handles and the way it shoots. I have taken a few animals with it, including a bear this year, and will hunt with it from time to time. In an autoloader, I think there is none better. IMHO.

JAG

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
.358---

It depends on price and how bad you want one.

The most likely reason it jammed on the previous owner is a dirty chamber or weak action spring. Both are easily repaired.

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've got two BAR's and never have a problem with them, one in .270 and one in '06. One thing to look at carefully is how the bolt has been cleaned. I've seen several that were never cleaned properly and all gummed up inside. When the bolt is fully open you can only clean the face, when the bolt is closed you can only clean the outside. To clean the lugs you need to hold the bolt partially retracted so you can get all the gunk out of it.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, the one described by Jag is exactly like this rifle. I can't shoot it as it is in a store. But, I only live an hour from the mainbrowning service center and figure I could take it there if need. They7 repair stuff for free if it needs it. I kinda of lean toward mr. Belk's idea that a good scrubbing would help. I have owned 3 Bar's and was pleased with them all, my only grip is they are a little heavy. The dealer wants 400.00

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A decent store will give give you a few day buyback. By the way, most autoloader problems are curable by a simple mag change.

(Yeah, I know the BAR has an odd internal mag.)

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote