Find
Notify
Tools

Bore and Stroke Win 94?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi, anybody see any problems with lengthening the stroke on a Win mod 94?

I found an extra 375 bbl and was thinking about trying to do a 375WSM or something similar.

It looks like the frame isn't quite wide enough to take the rim of a 45-70, but a RUM case will just squeeze in.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't go there myself for a couple of reasons. First off you can buy leverguns already chambered in .45-70, and I seriously doubt you will surpass the performance of that chambering with your "baby". Secondly, the basic Mod 94 is not a terribly strong action, that's why the "Big Bore" variant came into being. Third, the action is not designed to accomodate rimless cases. Three strikes is enough for me....

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I agree with DDan. I wouldn't be driving a regular 94 down the road you're headed.

If you really are set on it, I'd get one of the new 94 Timber Carbines in .450 Marlin as a base platform. Of course, then you have to deal with the headache of altering the boltface, ensuring good lock-up and headspace, etc., etc. nut

If I were you, I might wait and see if Browning brings out the BLR in the WSMs. You might drop them a line to let them know you'd like one.

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DON'T DO IT!! I contacted Winchester abotu rebarreling a 94 to 358WIN and they told me the 94 fram isn't rated for the 358 WIN round. I wouldn't even think about a mag round.

If you want a 375 mag round in a lever action gun, look at the Marlin or Winchester Big Bore.

Posts: 144 | Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put yourself together a nice 38-55, that'll take care of that 375 barrel, and you'll have a great rifle to play with. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I have a Big Bore 375 win already. It's a great rifle and light to carry. I was just thinking about getting a little more performance out of one with a larger case and keep the pressures down. I guess the action really isn't that big to begin with though.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
lars:

What about a .375 JDJ???

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
It'd still be a 2-shooter, though.

RSY