New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on blown rifles and bolt handle holding
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If we take any of the actions with one piece bolts such as M98, Pre 64, Wby Mark 5 and others:

If the locking lugs were machined off the action and the rifle was fired with a maximum load....say a load that would normally create an ejector mark on the case head....do you think the bolt would blow free of the action or would the bolt handle hold.

I would think the bolt would still be sitting in the action.

What do think/know.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the bolt handle would hold. I did break the handle off a customized 98 once that had been welded on by a supposedly good gunsmith; it looked good on the outside but was not. I had fired an over pressured round in a rough chamber.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I suspect this is some sort of bait, but the handle on a Mod. 70 has no initial contact and when fired would jump the edge of the receiver, as there be nothing to keep the bolt from rotating. I think Mike should try it and report back.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,

No its is not a bait thread.

What prompted it is a thread running on 24HourCampFire where a Weatherby Mark has supposedly blown the bolt clear and into someones face with hot factory ammo. Ken Howell is arguing that locking lugs have hammered up and fatigued with continued use of hot ammo and all the lugs let go.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote