New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crappy Winchester
 Login/Join

<PCH>
posted
I need help with a short action Winchester Classic 308 win I got. It won't feed the rounds in a controlled way. The problems seems to be that the left feed rail has to little material so the rounds from the left side pops up too early. The result is that they are not grabbed by the claw on their way to the chamber. So rounds from the left side are pushed in, the rounds from right side are controlled like they are supposed to. This happens especially when cycling the bolt slowly. Another problem is that sometimes rounds from the left side get's stuck on the back of the chamber.

So is there anything that could be done about it?? I have been advised that since there is too little material on the left feed rail there is nothing to be done about it except getting another rifle which was made proper from the beginning.

I tried the feeding on a long action 30-06 and it worked just fine. Could part of the problem be that a short round (308 win) in a short action can't be made to feed as reliably as a long round in a long action?? The 30-06 comes out of the magazine at less angle than the 308 win and thereby by design is easier to make feed properly?

What shall I do??

<Fireball221>
posted
CRAPPY WInchester??? Why not just send it to a Gun smith and have them repair what ever it is that someone messed up???
I have had Several Winchesters and they have all been wonderful guns.
Fireball

quote:
Originally posted by PCH:
I need help with a short action Winchester Classic 308 win I got. It won't feed the rounds in a controlled way. The problems seems to be that the left feed rail has to little material so the rounds from the left side pops up too early. The result is that they are not grabbed by the claw on their way to the chamber. So rounds from the left side are pushed in, the rounds from right side are controlled like they are supposed to. This happens especially when cycling the bolt slowly. Another problem is that sometimes rounds from the left side get's stuck on the back of the chamber.

So is there anything that could be done about it?? I have been advised that since there is too little material on the left feed rail there is nothing to be done about it except getting another rifle which was made proper from the beginning.

I tried the feeding on a long action 30-06 and it worked just fine. Could part of the problem be that a short round (308 win) in a short action can't be made to feed as reliably as a long round in a long action?? The 30-06 comes out of the magazine at less angle than the 308 win and thereby by design is easier to make feed properly?

What shall I do??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester Classic Stainless in .308 and it is my current pet rifle. It'll shoot 1 1/2" with factory ammo and it's light and handy... Feeds fine, too.

I suggest you send that rifle right back to the factory for a replacement.

Maybe the rails were milled for the .300 WSM??? Maybe Winchester was trying to save time by not recalibrating the tooling for a non-magnum cartridge??? Maybe they got the two receivers confused??? In any case, it would be extremely difficult to add metal to the rails...

Don't give up on Winchester- they make one of the most decent 'new' guns on the market with considerable potential...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
PCH--

The magazine box is wrong. It's very simple to fix, but it takes some time and effort and understanding of how it's supposed to work.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
call winchester...
send it back. it can be either the rails, the mag, or the spring. Just call them, send it back, and don't get to frustrated.
jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also had a model 70 CRF that had pop ups. 2 cartridges would pop up at the same time. I sent it back and Winchester fixed it.

It is inexcusable that Winchester ships guns out of the factory that do not feed on a regular basis.

I think "junk" is the appropriate term.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<PCH>
posted
JBelk,
Is it really that simple?? It has nothing to with it being a short action or feed rails?? If it is the mag box then my hope is backSmiler

The rifle feeds just fine except that it works like a push-feed. Never does two rounds pop out of the mag.

Thanks to all you others. Sending the rifle to Winchester is probably a bit complicated and costly since I'm in Sweden. Hopefully it's something that can be done here in Sweden.

[ 07-05-2002, 00:00: Message edited by: PCH ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCH:

The rifle feeds just fine except that it works like a push-feed...

Like the push-feed from hell I'll bet. It's hard snapping that big claw type extractor over the rim, isn't it? Good luck getting it fixed. I wish these new Winchesters worked. They are darned pretty rifles if the guy who does the finishing is having a good day.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to purchase one of the M-70's in .375 H&H in the future and I hope I get a good one, with a bit of tinkering by a gunsmith shouldn't they all come up all right???

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
PCH---

Since you're out of the US and shipping the gun back is not an option, could I suggest you buy 2 or 3 extra magazine boxes and start experimenting.

The very first step is to bend or polish the left lip outward about .010 and try it. (load up a double handfull of feeding dummys with no primers)

In the new Winchesters the lip of the magazine box acts as the feed rail much like the magazine in a pistol.

Remember, In a staggered box magazine the left round is pushed up and to the left by the round under it on the right.

Borrow a Mauser and watch the process very closely.......the shoulder of the case against the magazine box (feed rails) forces the cartridge to the center, not the bullet. Watch where the case is fully engaged under the extractor...the bullet is IN the chamber when it happens.

With a couple spare boxes you can tune it to feed like a gut pile through an ice hole.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a M70 Classic Compact in 7mm-08 about 18 months ago that had the same type of problem. Since it was under warranty, I took it to the local factory-authorized shop here in Houston.

It took two trips back to the shop, and the rifle made one trip back to the factory before it worked right.

When the functioning rifle finally got back I pulled the action from the stock. I swear that all they did was tweak the mag box, because it now has a big scratch on it (I know it was the original mag box, because I put a little mark on it b4 taking it in).

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
<PCH>
posted
Thanks,
It seems like it can be fixed. I will give it a try.