THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1909 DWM argentine mauser questions (pic)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted
I bought a 1909 Argentine mauser from a pawn shop today. It is marked:

MAUSER MODELO ARGENTINO 1909

DEUTSCHE WAFFEN-UND

MUNITIONSFABRIKEN BERLIN

Full crest on top of receiver

receiver, barrel, bolt and floorplate stamped c1934

receiver is in the white and not drilled for scope

barrel, bolt release bottom hinged floor plate and trigger are blued

barrel is a little longer than 29"

Bolt handle appears unaltered and is turned down

Military Sights have been replace by williams

bore looks excellent

chambered in 7.65 argentine.

Rifle is in a interarms mark X stock.

Any idea as to the value of this rifle? Also, my searches seem to suggest that the bent bolt indicates that this was the sniper rifle configuration. I bought it based on the good things I've heard about these actions but should I restore it or use it as the basis for a custom rifle? < !--color--> Thanks, Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the gun has been modified there is really no use in restoring it, even in excellent original condition its worth well under a grand. It is however an excellent base for a custom gun and the fact that the receiver has not been buggered up is a plus. They are getting harder to come by.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bolt handle was probably bent for comfort, as the original style can be a bit awkward. The cavalry model came with a bent handle, but they had short barrels and were made in Argentina.

Kevin is correct about the value. It would cost far more to restore it than it could ever be worth.

The most popular feature of the 1909 is the hinged floorplate. You can keep it as is or change it to a straddle with a little work. Just remember that it is an early action, so keep the cartridges to standard pressures. Have it checked out thoroughly if you are considering a modern or heavy chambering.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Any idea on the value? I paid $150.00 out the door

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kurt,
I also just recently acquired a 09 Argentine DWM Mauser. It was one of the Interarms Surplus cut down rifles sold in the '70s. B/A painted black, 24" bbl and turned down bolt handle. Its numbers are all matching and after the paint came off it was in pristine condition. I've read articles in the past 50 yrs that the 09 was soft as compared to the quality actions made after 1924.Mine was made in 1910-11.My 09 is chambered for the 7.65x53 and I have no intention to hot rod or re-bbl.it to a magnum. I was looking thru Speeds excellent book on the Oberndorf Mauser and there is a ballistic data chart used by Mauser on US and Metric cartridges made by DWM and RWS in 1934-40. It shows that the 7.65mm had a chamber pressure of 51,000 psi. Higher than the 7x57, 30/06, 8x57 and many others. I was surprised that the 7.65 was loaded to higher pressures, thought it was just on par with the 7x57. Just a little tidbit of information,no contradiction intended. These old pre-war mausers are really a testament to the machinist skill and pride in workmanship exhibited at the turn of the last century.
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I paid $140 for one about 5 years ago, it had been partly "sporterized" too. It's now my wife's rifle and a thing of great beauty too. Shilen match barrel, commercial shroud, Leupold bases and scope, custom stock, etc.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
weagle

Save the rifle for a classic custom project... How about a 7X57?

You got it for a really good price in my opinion.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
yes, weag, excellent price.

and i see you already have posted your query here as well as 24hour.

reckon you can see which board has the most mauser interest, eh?

Posts: 298 | Location: birmingham, alabama | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Any idea on the value? I paid $150.00 out the door

You got it for half-price, or less! I paid $300.00 for one in as-new, full military condition in the late 1980's. An excellent rifle, and the Argentine caliber is also very good, particularly if you handload for it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Manhasset,

Good point. Just remember that when your rifle was made, Nitro-cellulose powder was still common (the G.B.P. often seen stamped on early commercial mausers). There were a lot of powder advances between then and the 1930's. I wouldn't risk a nice rifle on the assumption that 1910 ammunition pressures for a given cartridge are the same as 1934-40 pressures (not that I think the data is deliberately wrong, I just don't think they had the technology to accurately measure pressure or velocity in those days).

I tend to over-caution folks about using early actions for custom projects. But it would be a shame for someone to invest $2-3K on a project, only to have the lugs set back after a few shots are fired.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
I agree with KurtC

I have had (and have) many of these actions, and have had many of them hardness tested by a professional heat treater.
They tend to average about 20 on the Rockwell C scale, but that is only the outer skin, as the case hardening is quite thin on these DWM actions (the 09 Argentine and the 08 Brazillian are identical receivers). I have had a couple of the South Amercian ones that had to be measured on the B scale. Thus, if you are going to do nothing to the receiver, it would be prudent to go with a cartridge that is used with lower pressures, such as the 7 x 57, 8 x 57, etc.

HOWEVER, many very high quality Riflemakers, including some who frequent this board, have used these DWM Actions to make all sorts of higher pressure rifles, including .338 magnums, and even 404. Jeffs. I have read numerous articles by Jim Carmichael in outdoor life where he has written of using his David Miller custom .338 mag on an 09 Argentine action. I have literature from David Miller that shows that in the past used 09 argentine actions extensively to build .338 magnums, .300 win mags. Mr. Miller even used a 1909 Argentine to build the first of the Big 5 Series for Safari Club. That rifle was a .458 Win mag that eventually sold at auction for around $41,000.00 (had extensive engraving by Lynton Mckenzie).

I am absolutely positive (based on very reliable sources) that David Miller has all of his actions (even the new ones he works with) reheat treated. In the case of 09 actions, it is not so much a reheat treat as it is a recasehardening.
The older recommended method was Cyanide Salt Bath, although that method is not available much anymore due to enviromental concerns. Nevertheless, if you want to use your action for a cartridge that puts out more than 50,000 PSI you may want to think about having it recasehardened.

Blue

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
You can have your actions re-heat treated (carburized) by modern processes. Check out www.pacmet.com, they do Mausers on a regular basis. I do not know their "recipe", will try to find out.

I'm going to have 3 Argentines done. I think it's $100/batch and several bolts and actions will fit in a batch.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Don

I have had carburizing done on an 09 Argentine in the past by another facility than the one you mention. That action came back warped. Please come back and let us know how your actions came back once you have them carburized.

Blue

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Will do. Probably be in the July time frame.

Who did yours?

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, I am also interested it how your actions turn out. I have a nice 1902 Mexican Mauser made by DWM that I think is a little too soft to use as is.

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote