New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Ackley Imp. to 35 Whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen: I would like to set back the barrel on a 35 Whelen Imp. to the standard 35 Whelen. My question is, Can it be done easily or would it require too much breech end removal to clean up? It has a 23" barrel on it now and i would not want to go much shorter, Are we talking about a few threads and a rechamber or a half inch and major surgery? What say Ye! Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A barrel at 23" would be almost worthless after the length was taken off. The relatively straight taper of an Ackley makes setting back almost a sure "cut off and start over".

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You would have to set the barrel back around 1.5" to remove the wide shoulder of the AI. I would doubt if you have enough steel in the chamber area to do this. If you don't want the AI sell it and put the money towards a new barrel. The chambering and fitting cost should be about the same.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I suspect this could not be done without leaving you with an undesireasbly short barrel, and that's only IF the barrel shank section is big enough around for a lond distance. The reason is that the AI chamber not only has a larger and differently shaped shoulder, but the case has less taper all the way from the head forward.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Pac-Nor barrel in .270 AI that I considered going back to the std .270 Win chamber but was told by Pac-Nor that the barrel shank section is not long enough to do this. I doubt any barrels have enough meat on them.

Posts: 152 | Location: West Central Missouri | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What action is the barrel threaded for?

Thanks!

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote