New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help on some SAKO accuracy issues
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't get to do these things often so I am looking for some adivise so I dont screw things up. I bought a used SAKO Finnbear Delux,always wanted one now had the cash. It is going to be my Africa gun for our family trip in 2004.

It is like new condition(almost perfect), but I might as well be throwing a handful of darts for accuracy.

What I found was the stock to barrel pressure points were negativly affecting accuracy, it took about two turns of the action screw to bed the lug after the pressure points touch the barrel.
I carefully floated the barrrel and went to the range. Accuracy was greatly improved( feeling good now). After about six shots I checked the float and found the was tight against the stock on the left side, went home took a tiny bit more off the left side and went back to the range,accuracy great again.

After about 4-6 shots acuracy went to hell, shots going right high and low. the barrel is once again thight against the left side.

I realize that bedding the action is next and I can do that, but I am looking for advise so as not to mess up.

I am doing this in baby steps to avoid a major screw up.

What is forcing the action to the left and how to prevevt it???

Thanks to all

Posts: 712 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Dulcinea---

ASSUMING it's the action going to the left and NOT the stock going to the right........ [Smile]

It has to be the recoil lug is not bearing evenly in the stock mortise.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How would one determine that the stock is moving vs the action. Am I on track that this is most likely the cause of the problems.

<JBelk>
posted
Obviously the first thing to do is to glass the receiver so you KNOW it's not the one moving. If the gap on the left side then gets smaller you know the stock is moving.

<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by JBelk:
Obviously the first thing to do is to glass the receiver so you KNOW it's not the one moving. If the gap on the left side then gets smaller you know the stock is moving.

I would like to add a pillar bedding of the action with posts of aluminium or steel. I think it can be the wood that is moveing and playing tricks with you.

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
In this case the action screw enters the bottom of the recoil lug. I will bed to the bottom of the lug on this gun and the action flat behind the lug and tang area. Is this correct?

I ask this next question because I am sitting here having a brain fart. Do I bed against each side of the action and lug tightly?

As far as pillar bedding, I do not have any metalworking capability and more importantly got rid two guns that I would experiment on to learn to do pillar bedding.

I feel I am getting a handle on this and thank everyone for their input.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot, I dont think the wood is moving. I can take the gun apartr and put it back together and the barrel is clear it only gets tight after shooting it.