New
Find
Notify
Tools

silencers/moderators/suppressors.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
was out stalking recently with a client who had a reflex suppressor/silencer fitted to his rifle. this unit is a slip over the barrell model,with only one third protruding in front of the muzzle. the noise reduction was excellent. does anyone have a comparison to make against other silencers,ie: weight, finish,serviceability,noise reduction?
the only other draw back is the fact that you have to have the barrell threaded,is there a unit that can be fitted without threading.

many thanks

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Griff,

Threaded moderators are the only way to go. The back of the moderator needs to fit evenly, firmly and snugly against the muzzle for peak efficiency.

As to other types, the UK market seems to be fairly awash now following recent relaxation of FLA attitudes toward moderators on centrefires. (I'm just applying for a variation to put mods on a .22/250 and .243) For Reflex check out http://www.reflexsuppressors.co.uk/

The beauty of the Reflex is that most of the length fits back over the barrel rather than extending the overall length of the rifle.

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks Pete,
have already been upto Peter Jacksons to see the reflex and have witnessed at first hand its effectiveness in the field. my only criticism of the reflex is it needs a coating of some description to stop the loud metallic ting it makes when it touches something.

griff

one of us
posted Hide Post

I suppose you could stuff an old sock inside it?

Actually that's an interesting point. Not so much a problem for foxing at 200 metres, but stalking through open woodland.... Having said that, I generally try not to clonk my rifles anywhere, anytime.

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
will give the sock method some thought!!
its not so much as clonking the rifle, its if it gets slapped by brush that the thing rings like a bell!!

griff

one of us
posted Hide Post
The cammo companies on this side of the pond (see this month's issue of Rifle Shooter) have developed a coating that can be attached to metal objects that will help deaden the sound (as well as camouflage the look of the metal itself). This might help you. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks Dan,
have been thinking of a coating of some description but didn't know what, will try to find out the one you are talking about.

Griff

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen gaffer tape wrapped around them for this reason. The reflex suffers from being a steel unit with no method of dissasembly for cleaning, I have heard of internal rust problems. The law enforcement is supposed to be very good but is bulky and heavier than many. I personaly had a Vaime which was excellent and a lighter copy of a Vaime which was even better.

You need to analyse why you want one. The deer don't seem to be effected by the lack of noise and it doesn't pay to minimise the hassle of lugging that can around. Unless you get a reflex the extra length is a nightmare and shortening to make handier decreases the effectiveness as well as the muzzle velocity.

Up close there is the issue of a larger object moving around when you unsling your rifle and bring it up to the aim. I've definately lost deer through this.

On the other hand recoil is much reduced and if you don't wear any ear protection when stalking it must be good news.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote