THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Remington 870 20 guage barrel interchange question.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 870 20 guage barrel interchange question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it possible to remove the barrel mounting ring from a standard weight frame( pre-74)gun which is the large diameter ring 1.00" and silver solder it to a light weight barrel with_the small diameter tube ring 0.85+ or - so you could have a barrel with interchangable chokes and vent rib (the old barrel is the plain jane version). Or else to ream the small inner diameter mounting ring to accomodate the large mag tube? The mag cap detent ball would probably have to be relocated? Or have a rib installd and threaded for choke tubes?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Bruce

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
You could do either or you could also have a new ring made and installed on the barrel you want. But I think it would be cheaper just to buy a new barrel. Cabelas has them for $220 in a remchoke 28" ventrib.
That's what I would do.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is the ones Cabelas are selling are for the newer lightweight frame version with the small ring. Won't fit my older model.. About 20 or so listed on Gunbroker but all are for the lightweight especially with Rem-choke which hadn't been thought of when the older version was discontinued.
Thanks for the advice.
Bruce

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote