New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hand Stamps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am wanting to have a couple custom stamps made and would also like to replace my cheap number/letter set with something of better quality does anyone have any first hand experience with custom stamp companies? A google search turns up quite a few I hate to randomly pick a vendor.

Has anyone used one of the higher priced character sets and holders? Do they space evenly? stamp clearly? I use electric etch now and it works really good but sometimes I prefer the look of a stamp and making a one off stencil is not time nor cost effective.

Posts: 328 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
PM sent. Buckeye engraving is the best.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go thru Brownells they will spl order from Young Bros, custom hand stamps. I have about a dozen of them I have bought over the years. One has my name that I use to mark the barrels that I install.

Another firm that I have been using lately is Bye Engraving in Portland Or. Small mom and pa shop that does nice work. The only thing is the cost of heat treating has gone up for them, so I normally send them 0-1 or 0-6 annealed tool steel and heat treat the stamp myself.

That will take care of any spl hand stamps, as far as number sets and guide jigs that is a whole other story.

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick,
How did the Africa hunt go?

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I struggled with a B-Square stamp guide for years. It uses spacers that you place in it to move the letters over. It was touchy & I never cared for the results. It was always a crap shoot.

One day a bought a La Bounty guide from Brownells. It uses opposing set screws to hold the stamp in position. I spent some time on a piece of scrap to see which spacing I liked. I put a allen wrench in each screw to hold the punch stable. For the next character, I release one screw a set amount while tightening the other the same amount. It gave much more predictable results than the old guide.

I sold the B-Square guide & recouped most of the cost.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Nick,
How did the Africa hunt go?

I had a great time Butch I will definitely be going back....I'm hooked! Give me a call sometime I will tell you about it, the pictures are on shutterfly I will get you the password.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
PM sent. Buckeye engraving is the best.

Buckeye was one I considering thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bough mine from a guy who attended every one of the ACGG exps. His name is Ray Phillips and the company is caled "NgraveR". Great quality and he also makes and engraving tool and cutters.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Nick,
Here is what we use. Makes a good looking stamp, but the characters are ridiculously expensive. Not quite as nice looking as engraving, but much faster to do multiples of the same stamp. You can stamp barrels as fast as you can put them in the stamper and pull the lever.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/00188516?Arg=nv

John

Posts: 565 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick I have had decent luck with the pylor stamp kit as long as you limit the length. If you waht to try one before buying something I can throw it in the mail. BTW I saw those scope mounts you did for Winston, great work.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,
Did you see the bases he did for me on my Enfield? I also have a set of the rings for it.

They are a little hard to see in these photos. You might notice his bolt release also. The quarter rib is by James Anderson. I am very fortunate to have a few top notch craftsman working on this.

Found another.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I did Butch, he did the same type for a local gunmaker here. The pics don't due them justice. It was great to handle the action in person.
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Nick I have had decent luck with the pylor stamp kit as long as you limit the length. If you waht to try one before buying something I can throw it in the mail. BTW I saw those scope mounts you did for Winston, great work.
Don

Thanks Don,

Which rifle were you looking at?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was just an action you based it for alaskan arms rings. If I ever get a few things of his done I get back up there to get a better look. Shoot me your address again if you want to borrow that set, I haven't used it in over a year so no hurry on returning it.
Don