Find
Notify
Tools

98 Mauser Military threaded barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Some time in the past I bought a new military barrel in 7X57.

Imagine my surprise when the threads are too big for any action I have.

Did someone make a receiver with larger than normal opening (1.10) or is this barrel just that much over max spec?

Beautifully machined so it was NOT a rush job induced error.

Maybe I better slug the barrel before continuing. Hope it checks out because it looks good, inside and out

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:

Did someone make a receiver with "bigger than opening?"

Sorry I can't help at the moment...I don't understand what the part in quotation marks means.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Sounds like all you Mausers are the small ring versions.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the major thread dia and pitch?

You sure it is even a mauser barrel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:

Did someone make a receiver with "bigger than opening?"

Sorry I can't help at the moment...I don't understand what the part in quotation marks means.

He means the barrel's male thread is visibly larger than the receiver's female threaded hole.
So it is No Go.

And is asking is there is a mauser receiver that has a larger size barrel thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, obviously you have a barrel that is threaded for a 98 large ring and your receiver is some small ring variety.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Give us the measurements. And what actions you have. I have had barrels that were too tight to screw in without massive torque so I recut the threads a bit. Tolerance stack up. Or as stated, you have all small thread (.980) actions and your barrel is a standard 1.1 inch thread. Both are 12 threads per inch. (Actually they are supposed to be two millimeter threads but no one does that.) Close enough on a few threads.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've lapped a tight one to fit before. If it's just a tolerance issue and you don't have a lathe try abrasive paste and some elbow grease to work it back and forth until you can snug it all the way up.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
What DougW said.

I have a milsurp barrel and the the threads are too big for the action.

I only have one small ring action and it has a 45 ACP barrel screwed into it (yet another story).

It is quite a bit over the normal, but I don't remember exact number right now. Enough that it will catch, but not really even start to thread in. I imagine lapping could be used, but I don't want to open the threads on a LR 98.

Lapping in threads was the method that used to be used to make SAE threads fit the metric Type 38 action, and it made that adaption work very well.

I am going to chuck it up and re-cut the threads in the near future. Will take some effort as I do not have a thread dial or reversing motor. Good excuse to buy one or the other.

Just found it interesting that the barrel was that much over sized.

Stacking of tolerances as someone said, but this will not fit any I have.

Mr. lathe will solve the problem.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote