New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith/Gunmaker in the Northeast
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If I ever out of graduate school and get some of the projects that I've been asking questions about off the ground I am going to be looking for a GOOD gunsmith/gunmaker in the northeast. I specify the northeast because I would like to be able to travel to and meet with the smith face to face to discuss planning without significantly increasing the overall price of the project (I'd rather put my money into the gun than travel costs to meet with the smith). The project will be a bolt action rifle on a Mauser or more likely M70 action and I would like to be able to do "one stop shopping" for the rebarreling, surface grinding (if necessary), blueing, etc. I would be willing to have the stock work (if I don't do it myself) and metal work done by different smiths as long as they were both in the northeast. Other than doing good work my main concern is getting someone who is willing to meet with me to discuss the project and help me achieve the features that I would want the rifle to have. Recommendations?

Thanks,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, try Mo DeFina at Master Class Sports in Brookfield, CT. Don't have the number handy, but shouldn't be too hard to find. He is also mentioned in Glen Newick's book "The ultimate in Rifle accuracy". I have been in his shop a few times, and he is SET UP! He is a highpower shooter, I believe. You might also ask this question over on Benchrest.com. Hope this helps. Ken

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way, where abouts in VT? I've got some land up around the Cabot/St.J area. Just curious.

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Cromwell at NECG

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kurt,

I had thought about NECG, but the last time I went to their site it was hard to tell if bolt action sporters were their specialty. The mostly discussed and showed double rifles. I just clicked on their link and they make it more apparent that they also work with bolt guns.

Has anyone had any significant work done by Mark Maniachi at The Island Smith? Without going into specifics, I have heard varying things about his work.

Anyone else?

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post

I live in Richmond, but my parents live over near you in Lyndon.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

PM me. I'm curious to know who your folks are? I've lived in Lyndon most of my life. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean,

Sent you a PM!

Bob