THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H in a .416 Rigby length action...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted
Hi,

I would like to know what smaller cartridges can be made to function reliably in a true magnum.416 Rigby action, (magazine length 3.85"), other than the .404 Jefffrey etc. For example, can a .375 H&H easily be made to work?
Additionally, what work would be required if any.

Thanks in advance,
JC

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Unless this is a very special action it would cost you significantly less to just buy a .375.

One would have to know the action you are talking about in order to answer your question. For starters, assuming this was indeed set up for a .416 Rigby, you'd need to adress the overly large bolt face.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.378 Weatherby will work fine.

.375 H&H lengthwise no problem , sometimes because of the lesser cartridge diameter feeding (follower) and storage in the magazine must be overworked. Mostly it will make no problems ! Yet the problem with the bolt head remains.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

I greatly appreciate the input.

The one reamaining question I have would be is..with the RUM series of cartridges being based on the .404 Jeffery case, and the .416 Rigby action functioning with the .404 Jeffery, would the RUM cartridges work in this action?

JC

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The Jeffery's has a smaller body as well as a smaller rim diameter. The .338 lapua is based off the Rigby case.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
The Jeffery's has a smaller body as well as a smaller rim diameter.

Thanks ZLR,

I should note, I already have a .404 Jeffery built on the same, full size, Rigby length action and it operates perfectly.

mainly my goal is to be able to use this action but avoid excessive recoil as much as possible.

While it has been mentioned elsewhere that the Lazzeroni cartridges are likely to work they are not really something I would consider using for this rifle.

JC