Find
Notify
Tools

Left Hand Ruger 458 Lott
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Left-hand Ruger 77 MKII converted by Bill Atkinson to 458 Lott

The Ruger was originally a 7mm Remington Magnum.

The barrel is a match-grade Shilen.

A scope can be mounted on the traditional action location or as a scout-scope on the rib.

The peep sights are New England Custom Gun which are quick detachable and can be carried in your vest and mounted as needed. The front sight shown is a red fiber optic, also from New England, and interchangeable with other New England versions.

Front sight barrel band and rib are Ruger.

The rifle has a barrel-mounted recoil lug. All of it fiberglassed in the factory laminated stock.

Rifle feeds 458 Winchester Magnum and 458 Lott interchangeably (intermixed) with no problems.

The action is slick. The trigger is set at 2 1/2 pounds.

There is one pound of removeable lead in the butt stock. Recoil pad is Pachmayr Decelerator.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

Just when I thought I was in uncharted waters trying to convert a SS/Lam Ruger 338WM to 458WM, I find that it's old news. I'm off to church w/ the family at this moment and will come back later for a few questions.

later, Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:
There is one pound of removeable lead in the butt stock. Recoil pad is Pachmayr Decelerator.
Ouch!!!!! Eeker

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

I've wanted a <9lbs SS/Lam 458WM working rifle when I read about the Scovill/Atkinson 338WM to 375H&H conversion (I think this rifle is owned by Phil Shoemaker). I've since located a SS/Lam Ruger 338WM for my project. I'd been considering converting this rifle to 458WM, 416 Taylor or 375 H&H (in that order). I need advice on the best way to reinforce the factory stock to handle the recoil w/out adding a ton of weight. While going thru the archives I stumbled on your post. I see neither crossbolts nor pins in your stock and it appears your barrel recoil lug is rather trim.

Can you give more details on the reinforcements/bedding on this rifle? I don't see a screw going thru the forearm into the lug. Are there hidden reinforcements? Has it held up?

What is the barrel contour/dimentions? Is the Ruger rib available from Ruger parts inventory?

Did Atkinson use a Ruger Magnum (RSM) magazine box/follower from parts inventory or is it custom made?

What was your overall weight w/ fixed sights (less the added lead)?

Sorry to ramble but it felt like Christmas when I saw your rig. Thanks, Gary.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GaryVA,

To my knowledge, Ruger rib is not commonly available from Ruger.

Laminated-wood stock is glass-bedded for action and barrel-mounted recoil lug. No crossbolts. No crosspins. So far, no problems of any kind.

Magazine box is made from taking two factory magazines, cutting them in two, fitting them together, and then welding them into one. This would not be necessary for the 458 Win Mag or 416 Taylor which are shorter than the Lott.

Not relevant to building a 458 Win Mag or 416 Taylor, but the bolt stop / bolt relationship was modified to give it a longer stroke necessary for the longer Lott cartridge. And there were other necessary modifications to the action.

Barrel diameter is 0.750 inches measured at the 26 inch muzzle. Barrel is a Shilen standard contour.

Will get back to you with more accurate measurement of weight later (memory not as good as it should be). Bathroom scales put current weight between nine and ten pounds with one pound lead installed. So that would be eight to nine pounds with lead removed.

Of course, reducing barrel length, going without the auxilary sights, barrel rib, and a lighter barrel contour would cut the weight substantially.

The Ruger (minus one pound weight) is lighter than my 458 Lotts built on Sako, Weatherby, and Montana actions. Will have to check the Savage -- it might be lighter.

Hammer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

Thanks! This info is of great help to me. Is your barrel recoil lug an aftermarket part or is it custom made from scratch? If no reinforcements, is this lug just bedded into a matching female inlet into the laminate forend? Were pillars used for the action screws? Which bedding material (devcon, marine-tex, etc.) was used? Reference the rib, I'm unsure if any of them are actually screwed on from the factory (vs. one pc. w/ the barrel) but I do like your set-up w/ the forward mounted scope as an option.

I'll stand by for the additional info. B.T.W., I've just added you to my Christmas card list.

Thanks Again!
Gary

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have the exact same Ruger 7Mag that I've been wanting to convert to something different for years. I considered doing the 375 H&H conversion that they showed in Rifle magazine, but now you have me thinking of going whole hog. I've been planning on a blue steel 404 Jeff but now you got me wondering about doing it in stainless and laminate.
Hmmm, could you pass along Bill Atkinson's contact info?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GaryVA & Fjold,

Bill Atkinson
9625 N. Coyote Springs Rd.
Prescott Valley, AZ 86314

928 772 0241

Bill Atkinson is a fine gentleman and his work is top notch. Don't think Atkinson is looking for more work to do. He is officially retired for the second time.

Barrel mounted recoil lug is something Atkinson provided. Don't know if they're otherwise available.

Did check weight more precisely. Without lead weight and without scope, Ruger weighs 8 pounds 8 ounces. This is with iron sights.

Hammer

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
What a great conversion! Shooting LH myself it always made me mad that Ruger never offered a LH version of it's Magnum action. No it turns out that teh standard action can & has been converted into 375s & 458 lotts. I love it! It opens up some real possibilities.

From what I read about the Rifle Magazine conversion, (375) it split the stock around the magazine box area. They then switched to a lami stock and have had no further problems.

As far as getting the magazine box changed, can they be prurchased through Ruger or do you have to cut & weld? And what exactly is done to increase the length of bolt pull?

I am very interested in this conversion. I'd love to have a LH CRF Lott! Big Grin

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, Ruger rib is not commonly available.

But Ruger rifles that do come with the rib have been seen with and without a rear open sight.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Checked Savage weight. Without scope, Savage weighs 6 pounds 15 ounces. Has 26 inch barrel.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger does not support any of these modifications.

Don't know what their new custom shop will do. Some say it is only for engraving.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is any help Brownells sells the QT rib for the M1 single shot in there catalog under Ruger factory parts. Regards Jerry

G. D. Stockinger
N.R.A. Life Member

www.cliogunshop.com

Posts: 154 | Location: Clio, Alabama | Registered: 17 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
G. D. Stockinger,

Thanks for the info on the Ruger rib.

Do you know if it can be easily fitted to any other Ruger like the M77 with factory sporter barrel ?

Bill Atkinson had to fit it to the Shilen 458 barrel.

Hammer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

Thanks again, you've been most helpful. You've given me a good benchmark to go by. I think I'll try calling Mr. Atkinson reference the lug and rib he uses.

later,
Gary

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks also. I'll look into a couple of other smiths that I know and see what the possibilities are.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, don't think Bill Atkinson is looking for any projects, but you might check with him and let him speak for himself.

Bill Atkinson is the "Atkinson" of the famous Atkinson & Marquart barrel company. He was also Bill Ruger Sr.'s right hand man for over 20 years. So no one knows Rugers better than Bill Atkinson.

Hammer