THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fisher or Flat Bottom metal for Project 6?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well my project 5 is coming nearer to completion and so I'm starting to finalize what I want to do for project 6 and I'm trying to decide if I want to use the Fisher round bottom or regular flat Blackburn bottom metal.
This is going to be my first project from a block, my others have been pantographed. Are there any major pitfalls to avoid with the round bottom metal. On my earlier projects with Blackburn bottom metal, I found the flat bottom did make the flow lines pretty logical. How much harder is it to get the lines right with the rounded stuff? Do you think that on my first block project I should stick with the bottom metal I'm more familiar with?
I have both kinds readily available. The Fisher stuff is of course a good bit more expensive and so that is some consideration, but in the end if I'm going to spend as much time on something as a full block project takes I hate to scrimp on too much. I like the regular Blackburn metal quite well but have used it on 2 others and might like to try something different.
The basics I've settled on so far is it's a Pre-64 model 70 in 7x57. Nice but not outrageous stick of English Walnut. Going to try to countour to a Oberndorf style barrel contour. I want a classic stock with small cheekpeice probably a pancake style.
I'll try and post some pics of the stick of wood and see if it gives any specific ideas to anyone. If anyone has pics of where they have used the fisher bottom metal I'd love to seem them.
Thanks for any advice and suggestions............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FIsher!!!

If you can get ahold of some.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
DJ,

Chic has used the Fisher bottom metal. I know he has some pictures. Sounds like a fun project.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Custom Rifles in B&W by SD Hughes". Starting pg. 43 is a six page photo essay of Mr. Fishers personal 98 Mauser .30/06 using his round bottom TG/FP assembly. Looks great as always.
Bob

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I understand your dilemma. My new 257 is on a new Mdl 70 classic action with a 22" No3 Lilja 3 groove barrel. Straight checkered teardrop bolt handle. NECG masterpiece banded front ramp with adjustable Island rear ( I just think barrels should have sights on them) Blackburn bottom metal. VERY nice piece of English with Ebony tip w/widows peak and steel gripcap, Talley oval inleted swivel bases Pachmeyer Decellerator. Teak oil finish. Borderless wrap around checkering. Matte blue. Leupold Vari-XIII 3.5x10 in Talley mounts. Stock is Curt Crum pattern. A 257 Roberts was the first custom gun I built in gunsmith school 50+ years ago and I haven't owned one since. This is the second Rifle I have ever had built FOR me. The first was a 7x574 years ago. I prefer Blackburn bottom metal. I like the finished lines of the stock above all other bottom metal.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDH

Always enjoy your photography!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
I understand your dilemma. My new 257 is on a new Mdl 70 classic action with a 22" No3 Lilja 3 groove barrel. Straight checkered teardrop bolt handle. NECG masterpiece banded front ramp with adjustable Island rear ( I just think barrels should have sights on them) Blackburn bottom metal. VERY nice piece of English with Ebony tip w/widows peak and steel gripcap, Talley oval inleted swivel bases Pachmeyer Decellerator. Teak oil finish. Borderless wrap around checkering. Matte blue. Leupold Vari-XIII 3.5x10 in Talley mounts. Stock is Curt Crum pattern. A 257 Roberts was the first custom gun I built in gunsmith school 50+ years ago and I haven't owned one since. This is the second Rifle I have ever had built FOR me. The first was a 7x574 years ago. I prefer Blackburn bottom metal. I like the finished lines of the stock above all other bottom metal.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few pictures of your rifle!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you all for your comments and especially gnmkr. I do have access to your book and will check it out also. Your work has been an inspiration to me and I greatly appreciate your response here. To me it's kind of like a little league baseball player getting hints from Mickey Mantel, I'm honored.............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dj, I am assuming you are talking about the hinged bottom metal stuff. I will round up a photo of it and edit this post.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to learn how to take a decent Picture then i'll learn how to post them. I think I can put them on my Car Blog and move them that way. The 257 should be finished before too many months.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by manhasset:
"Custom Rifles in B&W by SD Hughes". Starting pg. 43 is a six page photo essay of Mr. Fishers personal 98 Mauser .30/06 using his round bottom TG/FP assembly. Looks great as always.
Bob

In addition to the suggestion above, Jerry Fishers/Blackburn brochure also has some photos of his personal 06 in it. It gives you a good view. Ask him to send you one.
I have played with this rifle,a class unit indeed, the round bottom metal really apeals to me,,It is definitely the way I would go.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to examine a rifle with the Fisher Round bottom metal at his table at the 2005 Gunmakers Guild Show. It was great, and if you see the unit "in the flesh" you will want one. Wink

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dj, here is a view of the bottom metal and one of the rifle. The bottom metal box and front tang are built on a radius that pretty much fits the contour of the bottom. YOu do not need to build a flat at the edges of the magazine box. It fits in your hand like it belongs there.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pics Chic, thank you very much. I have the Fisher metal in hand and will use it on the rifle.
I contoured my first barrel today for this rifle. If I can next week I'll try and post some pics for constructive criticism. You guys are all great I appreciate the help...............DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have seen the round bottom 98 on Fisher's table at the Vegas show two or three years now. Extremely handsome and a step up in general elegance.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HunterJim:
I had the opportunity to examine a rifle with the Fisher Round bottom metal at his table at the 2005 Gunmakers Guild Show. It was great, and if you see the unit "in the flesh" you will want one. Wink

jim
I am pretty sure that was the 30-06 that appears in SDH's book. I fondled it also. Razzer

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic...I remember that rifle from a previous post...I really like the profile of the bottom metal...however, for some reason, I miss the normal "non-round" sections around the bottom of the rifle...don't know how to explain it, but I think it comes from looking at too many top rifles done "the old-fashioned way"...I think it would grow on me and probably needs to be held in the hand to really become a convert!!! Still nice work! Thanks for the picture again...Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arthur, the real genius in this bottom metal can only be realized when you feel it in your hands.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic...that is what I thought...like so many things, seeing is only believing when you see up close and personal...and even then, holding and touching really make the difference...so, one of these days...I need a trip to Montana and Washington state!!! Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote